Hmmm.....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats!!!! You will love the Excursion. I see it is 2wd........

So, like the power and sound of the 6.0??????

FordGuy100

Reaction score
4wd Excursions down here in hell....ermm I mean Houston go for 14-35K depending on year (05 4wd 6.0 excursions are 30k+). Plus its only going to be used for road driving. If there is an event we need 4wd for whatever reason, we have my truck.

04 Excursion Limited 172K miles. Oasis and Carfax clean. It seems to have a battery drain issue, so I'm going to be looking into that in the future. Its not bad enough that it drains overnight, but my guess is within a week it will drain the batteries down. Every option except for rear DVD. Class V hitch as well ;Sweet.

Someone had it straightpiped with side exit exhaust (before the rear wheel). Dealer decided to throw a muffler on and cut the exhaust so that it exits underneath the truck.

Selling the white TDI. Going to take some money and do a coolant filter, fresh oil's, EGR delete, and oil cooler.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So considering it has a much smaller muffler than stock, yes it sounds awesome!

Power is great, puts everything else we own to shame!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the battery drain, mine does the same thing. If is sits for a while it will drain the batteries......

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have read a lot of people saying the same thing. I dont know how long it was at that dealer parked, but when we got there it was completly dead. Doors wouldnt even unlock.

Salesguy tried to jump it with one of those jumper packs, I laughed pretty hard. Finally got it running with an additional jumper pack (I was sitting back shaking my head the whole time LOL) and after some driving it charged back up.

Started this morning like normal so I suspect it takes some time.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Tested my EOT/ECT delta's today. At 70mph full AC highest delta was 13*. Not bad enough for an oil cooler yet. Will do a coolant flush and instal a coolant filter here shortly, which hopefully will take care of everything....

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford says no more than 20 degrees difference I believe. The oil coolers that I have seen restricted will go as high as 280 EOT. Your 13* is pretty normal from what I have seen. EGR cooler delete and coolant filter are very good upgrades. The kits are not that badly priced, but the labor is an all day job. You could save a lot on the delete doing it yourself verses paying to have it done. I would be load testing the batteries. Weak batteries are ******* FICM's and FICM's are expensive. When you order the cooler delete check to see if it comes with upper engine gasket kit. Most that I have seen do not come with this. The key piece is the fat o-ring that sits on top of the water pump under the intake manifold. This kit from Ford does not include the intake gaskets any longer. They are separate kit form Ford now. They could be replaced, but I don't thing its necessary. Victor Reinz makes a nice gasket kit also, that includes more than you need, but I believe it is cheaper. I don't think the Ford kits include the turbo bolts anymore either. I have a bunch of extra's if you should need some. Also before you dive into it check the CAC boot that comes off the turbo. They are notorious for cracking out on the bottom side. One more thing. Before you loosen the bolts on the intake manifold blow out everything from around it so that nothing falls into the intake ports when you lift it up. A lot of those cooler delete kits claim they can be installed w/out removing the intake, but I believe that to be the "cutting corners" way of doing it........... I think I've taken apart too many 6.0's.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
MPG update.

Decided to take a trip down to Galveston/the beach. Topped off before we left (actually first time we filled it.....took 30 gallons....) and then drove down there and then back after being at the beech for a couple hours. It was a fairly short round trip but now I feel confident about this rig!

142.7miles
7.450gallons

19.15mpg! Doing 70mph with full AC. Should have gotten better but we hit traffic were there was plenty of low speed, and speeding up, braking, speeding up, etc.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salesguy tried to jump it with one of those jumper packs, I laughed pretty hard. Finally got it running with an additional jumper pack (I was sitting back shaking my head the whole time LOL) and after some driving it charged back up.
Could be worse; a few years back, I came across a guy with an E-450 party bus with a 7.3l PSD...developed an air leak that kept the electric air compressor going long enough to drain the batteries. Next thing I knew, some guy with an air-cooled VW hippie bus was backing up to the PSD to jump it cookoo :rotflmao I tried to stop them, but they wouldn't listen...I finally got the VW to run the engine at 2000 RPM or so for 5 minutes to try and give the PSD's batteries a bit of a charge...even still, the moment the PSD driver hit the starter, the VW's generator full-fielded and bogged the engine down enough to kill it. I tried to warn them... :dunno (I was in a stretch limo that had electrical issues of its own, which is why I didn't offer to jump the bus myself...the guy ended up calling a tow truck)

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Congrats on the rig! Should make for a good family hauler ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Got the CTS and filter on this weekend. Everything went great!

FICM is reading low on cold starts so it's going to have to get rebuilt unfortunately.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
The egr cooler delete is a big thing, get it done. You have no idea how much coolant it will drink if it fails. After that fails, its head gasket time.

IMO, ERG cooler delete, and head studs/gaskets and the 6.0 is as reliable and anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online