[HELP] Truck won't start

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Hey guys. Couple weeks ago the batteries in my truck had died, so I let the truck sit for about two or three weeks.

I finally went out and got a new battery to throw in the truck.

Anyway, I just went and tried to start it, and what do you know, the truck won't turn over.

I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go off, and then turn the key, but whenever I do that, the lights go off and I here a clunk noise. The engine doesn't even try to turn over. When I let off the key, all the lights and accessories turn back on.

What gives?

I need the truck to start, any help?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no way the batteries are dead if brand new. Has to be a dirty connection or bad starter. Can you hear the glow plug relay clicking at any point?

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
There's no way the batteries are dead if brand new. Has to be a dirty connection or bad starter. Can you hear the glow plug relay clicking at any point?

Yeah, I heard the relay click on when warming, then off when warm. When I turn the key, the power goes, and when I let go, the power slowly comes back on.

The battery cables do look a bit crappy, but I don't know what the process would be to change those out.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard the relay click on when warming, then off when warm. When I turn the key, the power goes, and when I let go, the power slowly comes back on.

The battery cables do look a bit crappy, but I don't know what the process would be to change those out.

Basically, disconnect your positive cable, trace it's path, follow along it until it terminates, depending on how bad your cables look all along the way, you might need to replace them all the way to the starter solenoid on the starter. Then, after replacing the positive cable, repeat the process for the negative, basically, you'll find anywhere from one to three negative connections, depending upon how thoroughly ythe previous owner/factory was in grounding the truck( max being three, one to engine, one to frame, one to body). It's not too tough, but it can be time-consuming to check and replace the cables.

P.S. - ALWAYS disconnect the negative first, as while disconnecting the positive, you could accidentally bump the body with your wrench, arching, and potentially causing electrical system damage.

EDIT. - P.P.S.- When reconnecting the cables, ensure the connection is bright and shiny/uncorroded metal to metal, then after the connection is tight, I always spray the connections with that corrosion-blocking electric/battery terminal grease spray stuff. That stuff is available at places like Ballsmart or an auto parts store, it works on the idea of blocking corrosion by preventing the acidgases from the battery from contacting the terminals.

Last edited:

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Basically, disconnect your positive cable, trace it's path, follow along it until it terminates, depending on how bad your cables look all along the way, you might need to replace them all the way to the starter solenoid on the starter. Then, after replacing the positive cable, repeat the process for the negative, basically, you'll find anywhere from one to three negative connections, depending upon how thoroughly ythe previous owner/factory was in grounding the truck( max being three, one to engine, one to frame, one to body). It's not too tough, but it can be time-consuming to check and replace the cables.

P.S. - ALWAYS disconnect the negative first, as while disconnecting the positive, you could accidentally bump the body with your wrench, arching, and potentially causing electrical system damage.

The only cable that looks bad is the positive cable on the passenger side of the truck.

I'll make sure to disconnect the battery before I do anything.

Do I just get the generic "positive battery cable" from the parts store?

Thanks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as I know, orielly is the only one that carries a factory style positive cable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cables could be why they 'died' in the first place as well. They may have not been getting current from the alternator.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turn the key, wait for the glow plug light to go off, and then turn the key, but whenever I do that, the lights go off and I here a clunk noise.

The CLUNK is a very good indication your engine is HYDROLOCKED, pull all the glow plugs out, then try to start, coolant shooting out of any GP hole will tell the story. Cavitation. Don't back the engine up by hand then try to start, if it is in fact HYDROLOCKED, you can bend a rod, but then again if it is, the engine is *****.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only cable that looks bad is the positive cable on the passenger side of the truck.

I'll make sure to disconnect the battery before I do anything.

Do I just get the generic "positive battery cable" from the parts store?

Thanks.

Depends on how 'authentic' or 'original' you wanna be, if you have no problem with using what works whether it's 'pretty' or not, then even tractor supply stores will have positive cables. To avoid possible future confusion, make sure you replace the positive cable with red cable, and the negative with black or 'grounding strap' if you want to go the more 'utilitarian' version from a tractor house.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
The CLUNK is a very good indication your engine is HYDROLOCKED, pull all the glow plugs out, then try to start, coolant shooting out of any GP hole will tell the story. Cavitation. Don't back the engine up by hand then try to start, if it is in fact HYDROLOCKED, you can bend a rod, but then again if it is, the engine is *****.
Yeah, let's hope it's not that. I don't know how that could have happened.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, let's hope it's not that. I don't know how that could have happened.

If your cowl weatherstripping is shot, and you had a leak into your air cleaner, water theoretically could have ran into one or more cylinders.

EDIT - OldBull is suggesting maybe a blown head gasket letting coolant fill the cylinders, by leaking from the coolant passages into the combustion chamber.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your cowl weatherstripping is shot, and you had a leak into your air cleaner, water theoretically could have ran into one or more cylinders.

This happened to me. I blew lots of water out once I pulled the glow plugs.

I have had similar issues happen with a different cause before.

Check this connection for meltiness.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its located here...

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.