Help please, 2002 7.3 convert to a 6.0 frontend

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2002 F350 with 7.3 was crashed in front. A big 3 way ball went thru the bumper above cross member and took out all the cooling, except steering. The Ford dealer body shop estimated $8500 to repair the truck, essentially totalling it (but I only had liability). So I have what I think are all the parts I need for about $2k and doing work myself.

I picked up a front end for a 6.0 2003 that I was told by seller will work.

I ordered and have recieved replacement radiator, intercooler and condensor for 2002 7.3.

I plan to cut the spot welds between front end of front fenders and replace the all the supports in between with the 2003 6.0 parts.

My concern is that all my new (but to late to return) 7.3 parts won't work in my 6.0 supports.

Help! Any suggestions or comments will be much appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the differences in the 7.3 vs 6.0 core.
Best I could say to do is compare them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 79jasper, I will try to slip the 7.3 radiater in the 6.0 front supports. I suppose if the atrachment points don't lone up I can cut them off and weld them so they fit. I am not a body man or mechanic really. But I got lots of time and willing to learn.

I hope I am calling the parts by the right names. Its all the "subframe" stuff behind the grill and lights and the hood and one fender.. the parts that hold the fenders coming off the firewall look ok and straight.

The fan was hitting on the radiator so I am replacing water pump forward. Seems to run fine otherwise.

Please comment if you think of something, I am very amauter at this level of bodywork. Youtube has helped but no one specically shows what I am trying.

Thanks

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
without having both completely apart Im gonna say there is not much if any difference in the core support and the 7.3 stuff will bolt right up
you gotta remember in 03 when they dropped the 6.0 in they were also dropping 7.3s in
and also as far as I know the gassers got noting different

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Double-S-Diesel, i will try to slip my new 7.3 radiater, intercooler and condenser in the 6.0 frontend before I cut and weld anything. Have a few more pics too...

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is most the damaged parts removed. The fan was beat up from hitting radiator so I just sawzalled the fins off to take out the water pump. Don't want to put her back together and need to change it later.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Custom condenser, and bumper.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trackspeeder, I am NOT completely certain the 6.0 front end is 2003. I hope so.

Last edited:

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Above is new fan and fan clutch. Red strap holds tent down in high winds.

Above is the new(er) radiator support mount after I seperated it from the side fender supports (maybe wrong term).

New water pump, new power steering pump, new redhead power steering gearbox. The red strap holds my tent down in case there are high winds.

Above almost ready to install newer readiator support mount. I am having some clearance issues, any suggestions?

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Above the front body mount bushings had to be removed to get more clearance. They were a PIA to get out. Ended up cutting them off with a sawzall.

After removing front body mount bushings both driver and passenger side looked like this. Not enough clearance. I think I will have to force the fender support sides out to make it fit unless someone has a trick they can share? If that doesn't work I may cut and weld that top tab. Thanks for looking and any suggestions or comments will be a help. I am a total amatuer at all this.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Above is the passenger side. There is not much room because of the center U shaped part that fits between the frame rails.

Just not sure of the best solution. If I can get this radiator support fitted and welded in I think I can be on the road soon.

Only part I don't have is the mishimoto transmission oil cooler that is back ordered til September. I ordered direct from them.
Thanks for looking.
JD

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As usual my ignorance made things more difficult. It finally occured to me that removing the top bar would allow the sides to slide back in position so the bottom part can go over bumper supports. Now just some welding and install. Hope this helps someone.

jdphish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got the new body mount bushings installed. They were $49.99 each set from LMC , considerably less than Ford. The first one was a booger to install. Second, not as bad. In hindsight I probably should have left the old ones in place because the core support is a tad too high now. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.