HELP!!! I NEED HEAT

AUGIE

AUGIE
Reaction score
I am looking for help on getting heat from my revived 85 crew. I transplanted a 91 ctd in summer and didn't need heat. But here in North Carolina it does cool off some. This is what i did. Checked coolant level OK! check vacum valve let coolant into core looks restricted so removed and replaced with straight heater hose. NO HEET!!! check coolant after driving, very cool, check after plugging block heater coolant in radiator COOL!! I am suspect thermostat?? Next question, where is t-stat? Is it at top of block where top hose goes in? If so do you remove bracket holding alt. to access t-stat. Also i am desperatly in need of shop manual for said 1991 ctd. Not an emergency yet but people stare at me while driving down road wearing artic cold weather gear. Any assistance would be appreciated. AUGIE

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you've got a stuck T-stat. And yes, it should be located on the top radiator hose.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Dang Augie...it's only 32 here and only supposed to hit 20 tonight LOL :poke ;p :D

Follow the top rad hose ....a cool running diesel is NOT a good thing....poor fuel mileage, soot build up in the oil :puke: Might wanna do a oil change after you get the temp up to ***** ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Cummins takes all day to warm up with a new thermostat.

How long are you waiting with no heat??

Yes, remove the alternator and the thermostat is in the cast water-neck.

Be careful in orienting the new thermostat, as it is easy to get confused on account of the thermostat going into the housing and then the housing attaching to the engine.

It is easy to get it backwards, much easier to do than for me to explain it.

AUGIE

AUGIE
Reaction score
Thanks guys you confirmed my suspcion ( spelling??) . I usually let it warm for about 15 min. before i drive to work, about 10 mi. I have driven much longer but it never really warmed up. Where is a good place to get t-stat? Dodge dealer,auto/truck parts or cummins shop and how much do they cost as a rule? I know sometimes there is a big difference in dealer and other places. Does a new gasket come with part or is there an o-ring seal. I remember reading something about o-ring at another site. Thanks dieselheads , Augie { P.S. GEONC MY NAME IS AUGIE AND I AM A WIMP! }anything below 50 is toooooo cold to me

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat will cost about $2 no matter where you get it.

Brand is not important.

I think one company makes them all and puts different names on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7