Help, engine harness differences

Tgould

Reaction score
i don't have a donor and i've yet to find a truck in any yard near me. i have a 95 engine and computer but the harness was cut, only have about half of it. I do have an 01 harness and the evtm for a 97 truck, I know the 01 isnt pinned right. is it possible to repin using the 97 evtm to work with a 95 computer? all I need is engine essentials don't care about anything else. id also be willing to buy a 95 harness if someone has one or trade for my 01 harness.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
The '01 harness is about a foot shorter than the older harness. On the older OBS trucks the big electrical connector is beside the fuse box on the driver's side. On the SD trucks, the connector is just above the driver's side valve cover.

Last edited:

Tgould

Reaction score
end goal here is put have it in an 86 F350 with a manual. I've heard that the fuel injector wiring and a few connectors changed shape and location. Is there anything I need to try and save from the hacked harness?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
It depends what you want to do. :)

If you are keeping the '95 engine stock, I would recommend just getting a wiring harness for the OBS truck. There are enough differences between the OBS and the SD harnesses to make it a real PITA. I don't know what you are missing on your harness, so it makes it kind of tough to advise. You will want to keep the fuel bowl portion of the harness. There are significant differences between the OBS and SD.

I have a spreadsheet of the two harnesses that I did for my project http://www.oilburners.net/threads/project-1997-parts-truck.74824/ that I can post up if you'd like.

Tgould

Reaction score
The only parts that are not stock are an adrenaline HPOP, 160cc injectors and a billet compressor wheel. It doesn't seem like much but i'm told it should be a huge boost since the stock 90cc injectors.

The obs harness looks like the main trunk was cut between the fuse box and harness which makes me think I might have all the engine side connectors but I don't know. I'm thinking if i can't find an obs i can rewire the 01 fuse box and main connector to match the old harness with enough extra wire to mount the pcm. going off the 97 evtm for a non cali truck, it should only be 9 fuses and 33 pins that i need. to include all of the ground pins

Does that sound like an option or am I in the wrong ball park on this one?

Tgould

Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet of the two harnesses that I did for my project http://www.oilburners.net/threads/project-1997-parts-truck.74824/ that I can post up if you'd like.

That spreadsheet would be great even just to make sure i did my homework right. i have gotten ahold of a 95 evtm and it looks like the pcm pin 66 is the only difference between it an a 97 non cali truck so that looks great.

i was going through that thread you linked and saw that the idi and gen 1 mounts are almost identical. Almost. are they close enough to use the idi mount on the gen 1?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
If the harness was cut off near the fuse box, you'll probably be ok repinning it.

The engine mounts are close, but not close enough. :)

Here you go. Oilburners would not let me upload a file with a .xlsx extension. I tried exporting it as a PDF, but that sucked. You can download it from here:

http://blackwire.com/~bjordan/Diesel/7.3_Powerstroke_wiring_harness.xlsx

Oh, to take advantage of the 160cc injectors, you'll probably need some custom tuning.