Head spinning... quick-E-fan question

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And from what I've observed sitting in traffic at low speed with ac on and an intercooler pulling heat from your engine bay blocking your radiator temps got hotter than towing down the highway with clutch fan or electric fans. I live in a Flat area though I'm sure hills and mountains are much worse. I think your oil cooler does half of your engine cooling

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the one i made i was offering, 4 12 inch fans in a diamond plate shroud i made that bolts right into the factory shroud locaiton. I had the top fnas come on first and the bottoms ones second. I used two thermostats

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
Thats a nice set up. I don't have a card or PayPal but I can get a prepaid and send you the money.
I live in LA. any idea on shipping cost

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a memeber here i was going to let it go for $50 plus shipping (probably $30-40 for that though). I think i paid like $50 just for the diamond plate piece. It only fits the 93+ style tall radiators it wont fit the short wide ones (i have a 1991 with a short wide radiator). They are chinese ebay fans, though if you liked it or had an issue you could also swap them out for a nicer quality american made fan. I had no issues with them though and i wasnt too concerned since there are 4, i highly doubt more than one would ever fail at once. I think i had it on my truck for 5-8k miles that truck was totaled when a dump truck tboned me.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared to the amount of free/wind airflow through the large oem fan shroud and blade and this setup here is drastically reduced.Even if by size it were close,your openings are each greatly reduced by all those small blades so square in to square inch can't simply be measured as equal.
No.I'm not claiming a shroud shouldn't be used.I'm saying that going down the road at speed,your blocking off more airflow (even with all 4 of those on high) than if you left the oem shroud but removed the fan and left it open all together.

To test this,you could install your setup.Hook to a trailer and max the rating on the truck.Let's just say 16k.Pull the long grade with your fans on high and see if the truck remains under 240F or when it reaches 240F (I think it would overheat on a long grade) pull over and mark the road.
Try again with the oem fan shroud without a fan and watch the temps.My guess is,you'll have more cooling without a fan,than you will with those on high and be able to reach a higher point in the grade before you hit 240F.
I could be wrong but I would be very surprised.I don't doubt it's a great setup for idling with the A/C on and just running down the road empty.I'm not trying to be rude.I just really don't think that could match the gross rating on the truck is all.

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be an interesting theory to test. Sadly i dont have that truck anymore to test it with or i would. I came to the conclusion that the factory clutch fan was better at maintaining temp with an intercooler and AC installed. I like my AC being ice cold in traffic and in a black crew cab that took alot. I have a 7.3 PSD now though i dont think this fan shroud would fit to test it.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a memeber here i was going to let it go for $50 plus shipping (probably $30-40 for that though). I think i paid like $50 just for the diamond plate piece. It only fits the 93+ style tall radiators it wont fit the short wide ones (i have a 1991 with a short wide radiator). They are chinese ebay fans, though if you liked it or had an issue you could also swap them out for a nicer quality american made fan. I had no issues with them though and i wasnt too concerned since there are 4, i highly doubt more than one would ever fail at once. I think i had it on my truck for 5-8k miles that truck was totaled when a dump truck tboned me.
Ah these won't fit my 1987 6.9 then huh?

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dern
Thanks for the offer though. I do appreciate it.
Really nice work on the shroud. I would have been proud to show that off

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
It would depend on the radiator. Most factory Non-A/C trucks came with the short/wide radiator (similar to the 460 radiator). The factory A/C trucks came with the tall radiator (the one that hangs down behind the bumper.

So if your truck has the tall radiator, it should fit.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would depend on the radiator. Most factory Non-A/C trucks came with the short/wide radiator (similar to the 460 radiator). The factory A/C trucks came with the tall radiator (the one that hangs down behind the bumper.

So if your truck has the tall radiator, it should fit.

To expand on this just a little;
Until the 9th gen idi trucks ('92,'93 & '94) when ford only put the taller radiators in the diesel trucks whether they came with A/C or not.
(Doesn't apply directly in this case,as the question was from a 8th gen owner.Just extra info for other readers,is all.)