Head pull and replace

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal... Called the machine shop about the heads to confirm price before I headed down. Owner says: "well the thing is, those heads need a lota work" I said, wait you said they were as nice as you'd seen... He says, well, they were, but one of the guys decided to vacuum test cause mebe somethin didn't seem right and he pulled the springs and valves and they are pitted real bad. Huhhhh.... Okay, I'll be down....

So it turns out that he was talking about the SURFACES of the heads being real nice and clean I think meaning not all dinged up. He handed me over to the tech that did the work who was a real nice guy and very knowledgeable. He showed me the exhaust and intakes, the one really bad valve guide.... So they are supposed to get back to me tomorrow. Exhaust valves are really pitted bad, intakes are dinged a little but not terrible. I explained my situation and what the truck is worth and what it is meant to be used for so we are lookin' at all new exhaust valves for sure, at least one guide for sure and seat grinding.

Not sure where he is sourcing parts, but I know for sure it is not IH because he told me so... $9.10 per valve.
They are going to thoroughly inspect and get back to me to let me know the cost.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news that's never an easy pill to swallow.

Hope they can get you setup and out the door for a reasonable price...

Keep us informed.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Keep us informed.

Thanks. $159 for clean and pressure test. They removed springs, keepers, valves and vacuum tested for that price too. I trust them. The owner's daughter is the mother of my best friend in elementary school.... Not that it makes us related but we have some history. A little goes a long way ina small town. Good and Bad.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was a good decision to bring it to the experts. IMO, even if funds are tight, this is something that should be done right to prevent you from spending more time and $ later on down the road. Having the "peace of mind" knowing that it was done right is also nice.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it was a good decision to bring it to the experts. IMO, even if funds are tight, this is something that should be done right to prevent you from spending more time and $ later on down the road. Having the "peace of mind" knowing that it was done right is also nice.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Even when I'm broke I still have trouble cutting corners because you are right. Half assed now and pay double later. Boy, I am not likin' livin this close to the edge.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Keep us informed.

By the way, that wasn't a pill they gave me based on where they put it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope they know the valve dimensions for grinding.
Intake 30*
Exhaust 37.5*
Valve seat width
Intake and exhaust 0.065 to 0.095
Minimium valve margin
Intake 0.112
Exhaust 0.053

Sorry to hear the valves are that bad. Now you won't have to lap them in.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the timing and bad luck sucks, but you will be better off with a freshened set of heads. It's too much work to slap on a used set of heads and then have to pull them back off a short time later.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the timing and bad luck sucks, but you will be better off with a freshened set of heads. It's too much work to slap on a used set of heads and then have to pull them back off a short time later.
Yeah well. Everybody got a story its time to just get it done. We'll see what the price will be and I'll figure it out. There is always a way.

Thanks, guys. Appreciate all the advice and support..

Last edited:

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$462 for New Exhaust Valves, 1 New Guide, 1 New Seat, Seat Grinding, Re-assembly.
$159 Magnaflux, Pressure Test.
$100 New Springs and Seals from Typ4 (includes shipping.)
$92 New Head Bolts
$93 Gasket set (heads, valve covers, manifolds, inj. o rings, copper washers)
$46 New Valley Pan

$952 and counting... I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...
Haven't picked them up yet. I have to wait for a little money to come in. Will update on the head job when I get to it.

I have thought a lot about the "chuff" and the timing of it. How it wasn't there until the day I bought it and drove it home... I am thinking that the sloppy air cleaner set up he had on there allowed a piece of something to get sucked into the intake. Can't really hide a chuff so I figure the trucks been sitting since Summer. We test drive it it's fine. Then he fired it up and it idled for a minute and then it just started chuffing. It was fine and then it wasn't, just like that.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the head job.... Took me four days to get it tore down and back together. Unfortunately I only got one head on. I couldn't get my hands on a cherry picker so I knew I was going at it by hand so I decided to replace a rusty quarter panel to give me better access to that side of the engine at least. I stripped the front down to the front clip for better access. Removed the radiator and shroud, alt, fuel filter housing, A/C compressor was a thorn in my side the entire procedure even bungy corded onto the hood bracket, removed hood, tires, driver side quarter panel and wheel well panel, fluid reservoirs. I was able to stand on the tray under the radiator and work that way. I used one of my kids hair bands to hold the rear headbolt #17. I had to cut away a piece of plastic trim on the firewall to get at the rear of the head. For the most part it was not too terrible although putting the head on was not fun. The rear alignment dowel was frozen in the head and I mangled it til I got it out so I had a hell ofa time keeping the gasket in place and putting on the head. It took me a few tries and I ruined one head gasket in the process. There were a couple reasons for only doing one head: This is my daily driver and work truck so the job had to be done by Monday afternoon.... (ended up being Tuesday anyway but I pulled some strings) When I pulled the valve covers I found this...
Driver side...
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the passenger side....

Once I saw the difference and gauged the time involved I knew I had to cut the job short. Not ideal, but I am glad I did it the way I did. No regrets. The other issue I had was while inspecting the rebuilt heads I found that 3 of the 4 injector holes still had the copper rings jammed down in their seats. I could not get them out so I looked at the other one and they were all out... Phew! That was it. One rebuilt head going on, the other going in storage.

A couple notes here... I bought a thread chaser from ARP for a ridiculous amount of money (came from Summit Racing) and then while walking through my local Hornungs Hardware found an Irwin thread chaser for 1/3 of the price and it was identical.... Got a refund and was able to keep the ARP. It was worth chasing threads, a couple of the studs were completely coated in a thin rust and a surprising amount of rusty dust blew out of the holes. Absolutely worth the money to replace the head bolts. Would never do this job again without new ones. Unfortunately I was solo on this project but a second set of hands would have made this job cake. I am pretty good on remembering which bolt came from where but I also screw bolts back in when I can so they are already there on reassembly. It is a good feeling to be looking around for that bolt and seeing it sticking right where it came out of for you.

Almost forgot! Here are a couple block pics... Notice the front cylinder around the fire ring... Not too bad overall though...

First pick is cylinder #2, then #4, #6, #8. The rust in #2 was from the head bolt. I used a brush on the #2 fire ring and most of it came off. Maybe someone can elaborate on what causes the damage / uneven / buildup there.

Okay, so last but not least, the chuff. Well, after more labor hours than I care to add up.... The chuff is still there. A little bit of a kick in the balls, but I found through this work that I have a leaking IP and unmatched injectors that are not Stanadyne so I am going to replace 4 at a time if possible and go from there. The sludge buildup in the driver side tells me I made the right choice in getting the job done, but I still have some work to do. I was able to score an air cleaner assembly from the pick and pull so I got that solved too. Thanks for all the advice, guys. I appreciate it! I will have more to post eventually once I solve the chuff.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bring this piston to TDC, and repost another picture.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imho......your chuff is caused by the rearmost cyl on the driver's side. see all the crap on the rockers? that's a sign that combustion gasses are getting past the valve seals. ie... your valve guides are shot.