Head first...........

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are well past 10K already, the miles on the truck actually played a large part of why I bought it. What ever was going to fail on this 6L should have already showed itself.

i wouldn't say thats the case usually, they fail when ever they wanna fail. sometimes you have really early failures, sometimes you have failures a few thousands miles out

just be a **** with your pm that usually helps ALOT, its the best thing you can do for those things

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love the 6.0s

i think failures of items can occur at any time, what i tend to see is trucks in the 30k range, and trucks in the 80k range, i think thats failure time for them

im just giving you a heads up that you may still have issues ahead, for the most part PM saves alot of grief, running the truck hard but not abusively seems to be the best formula also...i think you will be fine

Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old man wouldn't let me buy a truck in high school. Sure i could have afforded one, but everytime i showed him one i was planning to buy, he'd guilt trip me and asked me in that condescending tone 'what are you going to haul? Stick with your car, it does everything you NEED.'

He probably knew that your need (like the rest of us :angel: ) involved a a blonde or brunette :love: and the 4X8 foot cargo area in the back. And he didn't want to have some other fella come looking for you :backoff to do some 'splainin.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
More likely he didn't want me trying to **** off the environmentalist neighbors with black smoke.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the F550 6.0 4x4 today. This truck as new and as nice as it is....is an unwanted stepchild second to my regular in-town ride. With 83k on the odo, it's already ate a motor under warranty, and this morning the trans was seriously thinking about getting into gear for three to five minutes. It finally made up its mind and went along with the program:hail The tow/haul button is a really neat feature as well as the additional gauges. I'm packing 17k tare, so the performance is very underwhelming, even moreso compared to my '97 F450. The interior was spacious until it was filled with three radios, one scanner, and one VDT with full size keyboard. Add in my own personal equipment, and there is no room to breathe. I was very happy to get my '97 back this afternoon:thumbsup: It's amazing to me....the new generation of guys are "afraid" for working a stickshift. Sure hate to see if there was a couple of brownie boxes added to the mess, they'd have a mental lockup:rotflmao As I told my dispatch....keep the "747"...I'll take a closer look at it when its running right. Meanwhile the ZF5 is keeping most of the guys out of my ride:D:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the F550 6.0 4x4 today. This truck as new and as nice as it is....is an unwanted stepchild second to my regular in-town ride. With 83k on the odo, it's already ate a motor under warranty, and this morning the trans was seriously thinking about getting into gear for three to five minutes. It finally made up its mind and went along with the program:hail The tow/haul button is a really neat feature as well as the additional gauges. I'm packing 17k tare, so the performance is very underwhelming, even moreso compared to my '97 F450. The interior was spacious until it was filled with three radios, one scanner, and one VDT with full size keyboard. Add in my own personal equipment, and there is no room to breathe. I was very happy to get my '97 back this afternoon:thumbsup: It's amazing to me....the new generation of guys are "afraid" for working a stickshift. Sure hate to see if there was a couple of brownie boxes added to the mess, they'd have a mental lockup:rotflmao As I told my dispatch....keep the "747"...I'll take a closer look at it when its running right. Meanwhile the ZF5 is keeping most of the guys out of my ride:D:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

the zf's with a weighted down truck shifted beautifully imo

i think the more weight on the truck the crisper they seem to shift

when i was at my first ford dealer this customer we use to service had these f550 mini dump super duties with 7.3DI's and zf6's and man you could really cram those gears in those trucks

its a shame your companies 550 is running so poorly, what year is that truck?
and how did they blow the motor in it?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i was at my first ford dealer this customer we use to service had these f550 mini dump super duties with 7.3DI's and zf6's and man you could really cram those gears in those trucks
here's a pic of a ZF6 sitting on my shop floor.:eek:
I have no clue what brought about the demise of the motor on the company truck, it scattered before I was hired on. I don't like it much, so I don't fight over driving it. they rest of the guys can do that;Sweet iirc it's an '05 with many issues. I get paid to drive for these guys, so I don't open the hood or diagnose:D When the truck breaks, I turn it in for another truck:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 10-03-07_0929.jpg
    10-03-07_0929.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 10-03-07_0928.jpg
    10-03-07_0928.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a pic of a ZF6 sitting on my shop floor.:eek:
I have no clue what brought about the demise of the motor on the company truck, it scattered before I was hired on. I don't like it much, so I don't fight over driving it. they rest of the guys can do that;Sweet iirc it's an '05 with many issues. I get paid to drive for these guys, so I don't open the hood or diagnose:D When the truck breaks, I turn it in for another truck:thumbsup:

ya i watched a tech at my old job yank one apart

the ******* kid didnt even have 5k on the truck and blew apart the ZF like it was nothing, it was iffy going into a few gears so i heard

a couple months later he grenaded his oil pump and front cover cuase he got the **** stuck on his farm, the tow driver said he had to yank it out of some mud and wasnt very happy about it

idiots :backoff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless you were talking about the decals..... in which case I do like the F-150s a little better.

You must be registered for see images attach
bringing this thread back from the dead....
these are the logos I'm talking about.
he's on his third set right now. someone else wanted his first two sets really bad.

Attachments

• 04-29-08_1446.jpg
    04-29-08_1446.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 04-29-08_1447.jpg
    04-29-08_1447.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 5

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bringing this thread back from the dead....
these are the logos I'm talking about.
he's on his third set right now. someone else wanted his first two sets really bad.
Yup, Ive seen those and do like them better than what is on the SD version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online