hate to say it but traded the idi for a 1st gen w250 need a little help tho

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the gauges don't work does anybody have a wiring diagram for the cluster on this thing its a 1989 w250 if it has the nv4500 then the floor should be cut right???

thanks for all the help on the ford and thanks for help on the cummins in advance

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If it is a 1st gen then it will not have a nv4500 unless someone put one there, 1st gens have a getrag360 which is also a 5spd OD. AFAIK 1st gen dodge does not have a cut trans tunnel but You can cut it and make it that way.
The 89 are easier to work on, first see if the gear at the trans tail housing is set properly, You can also pull it (the top) and turn it with a drill then You can tell if it sending a signal at all. If that is ok then You can pull the dash cluster and carefully pull the speedo when You look inside there should be two plastic gears inside that like to break in pieces, if so You can order replacement gears here http://www.speedometergears.com/chrysler-odometer-gears, hopefully that is all it is.

Was th KDP tabbed or fixed? Make sure You do if it was not done. Here is a pic from one of mine

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info

ok the floor is cut so the nv4500 is in there and the speedometer cable is gone where it screws in the tail housing and where it goes into the cluster striped and all twisted

i dont know about the dowel pin it has a denny t big fuel pin

Exekiel69

Reaction score
KDP as in Killer Dowel Pin, it is inside the gear case on the front of the engine. It aligns the gear case to the block and some times it will fall inside it and find its way between two gears or more and really F things up for You, it is the one from the pictures I posted where You can see My finger pointing right at it. This can happen at any given mileage on a cummins until year 2003 I think. Worth looking at or ask the PO.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i talked to the PO and the dowel pin has not been tapped as for as he knows... so does that mean everything on the serpentine belt has to come off.............

also its not the dodge nv4500 its the gm version and would you happen to know what transfer-case it uses

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Wow I should have locked again, sorry.
Yes to tab the KDP everything on the front have to come off.
Now regarding the nv4500, if it is the chevy version it will have a smaller input shaft, I don't know what TC it will use but it will likely be pass side drop and the dodge is pass side drop as well AFAIK. There is a website called 4bt swaps with a thread dedicated to most possible combinations of transmissions and tc behind a 4bt and this one is very common to come with a chevy adapter plate that bolts directly to the chevy nv4500.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few videos on youtube that show how to fix the killer dowel pin. This is on my list too.