Hard steering

terryh

Reaction score
Recently my truck has become difficult to turn to the right at low speed. It turns to the left normally, but it's almost impossible to turn right unless it's moving. The lower ball joint on the right is bad, but was bad before this started. The U-joint doesn't appear to be binding (I can turn it by hand and it doesn't fix the problem) and if I jack up either side it will turn normally. I was thinking steering box or ball joint, but I don't get why jacking up one side would fix that. Thoughts?

BBCe40d

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. It does fine when I'm moving. Any parking become hell.

87BullnoseBlue

Reaction score
I have the same issue sorta I changed the steering Gear Box now I can't turn left or right and the thing squeals Bleed the air out too I am no Mechanic but I need answers. Lol

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep cycling the steering gear until it stops squealing. Squealing is air, and you need to get it out of the lines and steering box. You can jack up the front end, on jack stands and then cycle the steering box.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Check the U-Joints in the front axle, at the knuckles. A bad joint, or even worse a stiff/bad single cap, not the whole joint, can cause all kinds of strange steering issues.

wa6rht

Reaction score
Had the same issue with my 91. Steering box fixed the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk