Hard starting IDI, audible clicking when returning to idle

Bigbirdtrucker

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, this looks like a great place! I just got a 1995 IDI E350 when the engine is not at operating temp she takes full throttle and about 20-25 seconds of cranking twice to get her going.

And once she fires I have to feather the throttle to keep her alive until warm.

Upon returning to idle I hear an audible clicking from under the hood unless I stay on the throttle to the tune of 1,200 rpm. Any help is appreciated.

It's only 70 degrees here in Florida and I want to find a solution before I take her to a colder climate where I am afraid it won't start at all. Wts light comes on for 5-6 seconds when "cold" then goes out. No fluctuation on voltage gauge when the clicking is occurring. Thanks I'm glad to be part of the forum!

Bigbirdtrucker

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wrong forum.
A 95 will have the 7.3 powerstroke.

Sounds like the glowplugs are dead. Relay could be bad also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bigbirdtrucker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know a reputable diesel mechanic in the Sarasota, Tampa, lake land Florida area?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Really sounds like your glow plugs are not working right. When cranking do you see any white smoke from the tail pipe? If so this proves the plugs are bad because the white smoke is unburnt diesel. Can you tell us how many miles are on the rig or the fuel system like the injectors or injection pump. Do you see any wet tops of injectors.

Bigbirdtrucker

Reaction score
Yes white smoke a plenty when started the rig has 223k on it. I see fuel pooling in the top of the engine too. The previous owner just had ran it out of diesel too if this helps

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. The miles are not high but your fuel system returns needs replacement. This is an easy job too. Just make sure you purchase a GOOD kit like from typ4 on this forum or Conestoga Diesel Injection of Pa. These returns have the best o rings made of Viton. I'm betting your return line clamps are red so that is the large size. the green is the smaller size. Don't mix and match these color lines and clamps. you will have leakers everywhere. Best find out why your glow plugs are not working. It could be the main engine wire harness plug found near the passenger side fender well. The glow plug controller gets power from 2 yellow wires. the factory harness makes the 2 yellow wires on one lug. When the needed power is pulled thru the harness plug it makes plenty of heat and will melt the plug. Mine smoked and nearly caught fire one morning atart. Just look at yours for any corrosion or melting. If any problems are noticed just cut it off and install a proper size wire jumper around this harness plug. Only reason for this engine harness plug is to make engine removel easier. PLEASE NOTE... This is a power on hot all the time. Full double battery amps are sitting there waiting for a ground to happen. then the wire lets out the majic smoke and all is lost. you need new wire everywhere.