GP relay pricing

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Looking at getting a 7.3l glow plug relay, finally. I was originally thinking about getting the IH kit, but in retrospect, I think I'd rather do the wiring harness myself...particularly since I'm going to route it differently than the original setup. Actually, quick question on that note...the "bullet" glow plugs use "standard" bullet connectors, right?

I took a look at shopdiesel.com and they want $116 for the relay. I also checked DIS and MFI; DIS wants $140 and MWFI wants $118.

Do those prices sound good? Does anyone know of a place it might be gotten for less $$? Are relays like glow plugs in that one brand's better than another?

Thanks again! :cool

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I do believe what they are selling you is the controller not just relay. The relay it's self is the standard Ford Starter Soleniod on the fender that Ford has used for eons.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis, yes, you're right...for some reason, force of habit makes me keep calling it the relay, but it is the controller/relay assembly I was asking about...

:sorry:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked Napa's webpage; they list it at $160.

eBay's a thought; there's one that the seller claims is new that's listed at $75...I'm going to watch it; not sure if I want to take the chance, though (want the GP system to be completely fresh).

Methinks MWFI's the way to go, depending on what I decide on that eBay auction...thanks again :cool

Last edited:

hardknocks

Reaction score
ive got a replacement motor for my truck coming . I'm going to be parting my old one out . Hopfully this will take place this weekend , but it may end up being next weekend .

My motor starts fine , but now that i think about it i may have replced the controller , not the relay , or are they both one piece?

In any case i cant pull it till im ready becuae i gotta move this beast around a little . But if your interested let me know .

jdkline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim, so you're going to do it? I think you will be really happy with it in the long run. Yes the bullet connectors are the blue ones from NAPA, but if you can get your hands on whatever Ford/IH used OEM get that, as I've had a recurrent problem with these connectors popping loose and causing the glow plug cycle to be short. For everyone, the solid state controller is a controller and has a relay. I think the controller is the big part of the assembly and the relay is the squiggly thing that you attach your fusible links to on the solid state, whereas on the 6.9 system, you have the screw in head controller that senses the coolant temp and a power relay just behind the battery tray. On the 7.3's they put teh controller on the intake manifold I think, but myself and most everyone else that has converted to SS, has just put it right where the old 6.9 power relay used to live. The only caveat is make sure you don't hook the fusible links up to the constantly hot power terminal or you will possibly burn out some glow plugs. Also don't put anything else on teh white ground terminal and make sure it has a solid metallic ground at the base of the controller. Good luck,
J.D.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I guess I'm not like everyone else! I put mine on the intake.
I still like my conv. (Even for the price.)

Hoss....:cool

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And may the diesel gods have mercy on my soul, MWFI's now $190 richer. Got the controller/relay, 8 bullet-type glow plugs, and an extra injector line clamp (been needing to replace one for a while now). JD, I know I was debating it for a while, but I recently found out that I actually have a little bit more $$ than I thought I did, so I decided to take the plunge. We'll see how well it works, eh? :)

After much debate, I decided to just make the harness myself...since the bullet-connector glow plugs apparently use "standard" bullet connectors, and this way I can do the wiring how I want. :)

Once the controller gets in and I can take a look at it in person, I'm probably going to have a bunch of questions as to what wire goes where....but now, thanks again to everyone for all their help :cool

I know Hoss has a write-up on this up here already, but I may write my own once I do it...just 'cause I'm like that ;) and if I'm lucky, I may even get it done by the time the semester ends :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online