Got a 6.0 today.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well today in response to my wife pleading with me to get a new truck ( reverse psychology, profess undying love for older uglier truck) I went ahead and closed the deal. It an 06 crew cab King Ranch. Got it for a little over half of it's original sticker w/ 70k miles on it. Brand new tires and really clean. A few minor imperfections but overall a well cared for truck.

I wasn't able to get pictures today as I was too busy with Halloween stuff but I will post them soon.

So, what if anything should I do to this truck either as a precaution/maintenance issue or improvement?

I'm an IDI guy so although I am already a diesel owner I am new to the electronic ones. Thanks for your help.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I would say some important things to knock off would be a coolant filter, to protect your EGR and HG's, and an aftermarket lift pump, for the sake of your injectors. Be VERY **** retentive about general maintenance.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot about the swonking.

I still have the IDI. It will now be more thoroughly repaired/restored due to the fact that it won't have to be ready to go everyday. I'll be able to do the intercooler and moose pump install without the stress to get it done immediately. Don't forget I am building a new 6.9 for it. Winter project.

92F350CC thanks for the ideas. Those are certainly very reasonable and good suggestions. Am I ever glad you didn't say something like "you need an edge juice with attitude and a 9 inch exhaust"

When you say an aftermarket pump is there one you are thinking about specifically or is something like a Holley red sufficient here as well?

I have to say it really drives nice. I am looking forward to putting a trailer behind it and seeing how well it pulls.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok Ok Ok I'll say it....

You need to get a Juice Attitude and a larger exhaust. LOL;p

No actually after driving Snicklas's X I told him I don't think I would turn it up - No it's not as quick as my goat truck but it's pretty darn snappy in stock form (wow did those words just come out of my mouth).......

Seriously the stock 6.0 is pretty darn good and you know by leaving it stock that it should last longer (again did I just say that)... I know I was impressed with Scott's truck when we drag raced them down the highway I would say it's on par with my other buddies 99 Cummins with the Juice with Attitude and high flow exhaust (from head all the way to the tail).

Congrats on the truck - do post some pictures.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Dirt, thats about the same amount of miles I have on my 06 right now. The coolant filter is a good idea, keep on top of your fuel filter (HCFM) maintenance and drain it regularly. 5R110 I assume?

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It should be a 5R110. King Ranch only comes with Captains chairs up front, and Captains chairs rules out a manual

TEXCRAWLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new truck :thumbsup: I have an 04' and I love it. I'm tired of having. You need to get a programmer, exhaust, gages and your set. BTW put a cummins in your old IDI ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcme to the dark side. Electronics ain't bad and in fact the puter will tell you where it hurts.

My '06 was reliable, never gave me problems, they had it pretty much figured out and fixed by then. Only reason I traded it was I couldn't get the fuel economy needed for what I do when fuel costs skyrocketed. Handled everything I threw at it from -40F temps, deep snow and a little ice road trucking.

Leave it stock, if you do decide on a tune keep it mild like a tow / econo tune, the 6.0 is prone to head gasket failure and more with high power tunes. The 6.0 breaths well and doesn't need an intake, zoodad mod if you want to open flow to the filter helps. BTW, the 6.0 sounds great with a good exhaust.

That's my story and I'm sticking to itLOL

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Still no pictures. I know :backoff:backoff My wife went to a horse convention in Richmond this weekend and I guess she took the camera. I can't find it.

To cut to the chase I only have 1 friend in this town so far who has any similar interests. And so yesterday while at his shop he pulled out a MSD propane injection that came off his 6.0 (he sold that to buy land). Then he started saying that we needed to grab his predator off his dad's truck today just so I could see the difference. Apparently his old 6.0 was making about 600 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque.:eek: As much as that sounds fun I don't think I could be trusted with that kind of power. I would be interested in finding a tune that improved mileage and I know that propane can help decrease your fuel costs also so who knows. Today should be interesting to say the least.

So far I've put about 120 miles in it. The trip computer is saying 15.8 mpg. That's including in town, over some very steep mountain roads, running around the farm feeding animals, and general highway use. If it's correct it's real close to the IDI in mpg's but significantly heavier.

I am also not sure the 4 wheel drive is engaging. I will have to investigate this further today and get it back in for repair if it's not. The only problem with buying used. At least this one is guaranteed to be fully functional for now so any problems I find will be fixed.

I've been thinking about getting some gauges and then started checking out the tuners that come with the touchscreen displays. It seems to me that although expensive up front, based on the number of parameters that can be monitored, one of these might be the better way to go. Banks has a really nice one but it's $$$. I'll keep checking ebay.

Questions about coolant filters.

In what way is the filter media different from say an oil or fuel filter?

I am assuming it gets mounted in the heater core lines. Am I correct?

How much flow rate do I need at what backpressure?

This last question is pertinent in that I have access to several different rough cast filter heads that I can machine to fit. This gives me some options although I know it's always easier to just buy a full kit.

I am still curious about the aftermarket lift pumps available for this truck. Any suggestions or places to start looking?

And just because I left out the details in my first post the specs are;

Crew cab F250 short box. Lariat w/King Ranch package. Adjustable pedals, built in trailer brake controller, moonroof, power sliding rear window. 4x4 with FX4 package. Rhino liner already in bed. 18" aluminum wheels. 5R110 transmission. Color is dark copper with a lighter two tone below the belt line.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
STAY AWAY from your buddies HP gadgets, you want no part of a 600 horse 6.0L. Actually, I dont care which flavor of diesel you buy or run, 600 hp will result in an empty wallet and broken parts. You might have fun in the mean time but its gunna cost you dearly.

Is your 4x4 light coming on in the gauge cluster? If so, the transfer case is engaging, if not then you may have a toasted ESOF motor. Mine was toasted when I bought my 06. If the transfer case is engaging then you may have a vacuum leak to the hubs. Engage the Tcase and then get out pop the center caps off and manually lock the hubs and see if the 4x4 feels like its engaged.

So, you got two bad players here to look at..... T-case motor or the vacuum to the hubs. There is a third actor but he's rare and that is the ESOF switch on the dash.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike thanks for all the info. I was thinking it was probably the vacuum system for the hubs as the lights on the dash are coming on with the selection of the transfer case.

I especially liked the intensity of your warning on the tuner. Got me smiling. I am very much not interested in making a drag truck. I already have a 12 second BMW if I want to go fast. I have also made this clear to my friend. To his credit he is not one to blow things up. He has built many turbo'ed cars over the years. He isn't the type to "blow up your junk" and leave you hanging so the experiments that were to take place today weren't going to be on the extreme power side he was just more or less wanting to show me a bit of what can be done. As it turned out we were both too busy with family stuff to get together anyway.

My wife finally showed back up with the camera so I took some pictures. Here they are;

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight