getting rid of pos6.0

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
I no longer work for Ford, via buyout, so I can safely with conscience say, **** on the 6.0. 3 and out I say. 03 was a piece, 04 just up and quit, and 05 shoulda got an engine replacement, but 4600 for a head gasket instead...

steering clear from anything 6.0ish.

dump truck time I reckon

need something bigger for my new kx080 kubota trackhoe...19k lbs is a little much for a f3fiddy I would imagine...especially on a 6k trailer...

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
forgot to mention, only 98k on this one. had problems since born. but tech kept trying to tell me it was a dirty fuel filter cookoo

I guess the fact I had to add a gallon of coolant every month was no clue...:dunno

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i've never been a fan of the 6 liter anyway. my friend has had 2 of them and the first one was an 03, and before he rolled it the tranny wouldn't go into 2nd without a boot in the ass. i know that thats not engine related but still. now he's got an 05 and says its got "turbo issues" after 10,000 miles. i do have high hopes for the 6.4 though. i think ford should have done the 7.3 all up to the 6.4 without the middle man 6 liter. imagine the advancements for the motor in those 5 or so lost years!

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
need something bigger for my new kx080 kubota trackhoe...19k lbs is a little much for a f3fiddy I would imagine...especially on a 6k trailer...

Hi,
I pull my pc75 Komatsu (18k lb) on a 10 ton gooseneck with my f350 regularly.

Chuck

oldscool6.9

Reaction score
Hey Mike, ive got a 2007 F350 6.0 w/a 4'' stnless exhaust, (no muffler),but i did add a Magnaflow cat with a 4'' inlet/outlet, w/a center i.d. of 6''...I kept it bcuz i kept hearing that if the cat was removed it would cause a persistent ''check engine'' light to activate, so have U had any sensor problems with Ur truck w/out a cat ? I would like to remove mine, but i dont want to haf ass it n drive around with C/E lights on my dash or other engine control issues, so can U clue me how i can remove my cat w/o setting off any sensors ? Thanks, John @ oldscool6.9......

IHpower87Ford

Reaction score
i think they are great engines when the egr is removed and heads are secured down. maybe some other stupid small crap with the 03-05 engines. but they have a heck of a bottom end to em that the 7.3 wishes it could have. some day i might hear that wonder V8 diesel rumble in my driveway :love:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEGENDS SAY...........

I've got the only reliable 6.0 on the road.

'03 F250, 4x4, camper special, no mods-except for Line-X and camper shell, 130,000 miles, lots of factory power... the darned thing is even white and I pulled off all stickers but the blue oval.

I regularly tow a 26 foot Sea Ray, or a 29' camper trailer.

I'm just now thinking about upgrading injectors-never replaced a one, turbo-still in good shape, intake/exhaust-just because for the obvious benefits and air bags for eliminating some of my towing squat, EGR and h2ometh kit.

All you 6.0 bashers are freaking me out and have been for 6 years, to include the lawsuit.

I change oil/fuel filters regularly, sometimes I use reacted veggie oil just to see if the legend is true as I get better with my quality control.

What are the weakest links in the 6.0?

Freaked out and still running strong with my 6.0....I think?! :confused:

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CaptTom no need to freak out. My 2006 6.0 is now at 85,000 miles of trouble free service. I bought it at 70k but the Oasis report from Ford showed there weren't any engine repairs, not even EGR valve cleaning, needed prior to my purchase. It has been dead reliable with the exception of a weak battery. I added some sulfuric acid to the battery and now it's fine too. Original injectors as well. I just keep the fluids and filters fresh and am running synthetic rotella. I've run Bio mix on the last couple of tanks and it seems to perform exactly the same but I have noticed that it seems to start a little quicker.

I have spent so much time and money repairing my IDI engined truck that it's nice to have one I don't have to work on regularly. Not hating the IDI just acknowledging the age factor. The 6.0 has been a pleasant surprise so far.

So yeah ignore the bashers. 95% have never even driven a 6.0. It's just a bunch of wexperts who read too much and experience too little. Everyone I know who owns one loves it. Most are ex 7.3 PSD owners.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Like everything made, you get good ones and bad ones. If you have a goodun, count yourself fortunate. I used to haul parts for Ford and it blew my mind when my co worker came back to the shop with 4 blown 6.0s in the back of the box. But what you guys have is not the norm, and whatever you are doing to keep them alive, keep on going.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 6.0L in an 04 F250, it has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. The engine has never been in for any work and it has butt loads of power. I have not had the first problem out of the engine or transmission, I am just now at 65,000 miles but most of the trips that I have made with it have been long trips with a good amount of weight and according to my edge attitude monitor I have hit 35 psi several times on big hills with a load. My buddy had a 7.3l PS when they first came out and his was in the shop every 20,000 miles or less for something, but I don't judge every 7.3l by that engine.

I rarely ever go to the 6.0L forums on any site because it is usually just a bunch of people bashing them, that is why I spend most of my time on IDI forums or IH tractor forums. After I got mine it had me worried all the time that mine was going to blow up, so I just quit reading the crap and kept maintaining my truck with normal maintenance and it has been good to me this far.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I also have a 6.0L in an 04 F250, it has been one of the most reliable vehicles that I have ever owned. The engine has never been in for any work and it has butt loads of power. I have not had the first problem out of the engine or transmission, I am just now at 65,000 miles but most of the trips that I have made with it have been long trips with a good amount of weight and according to my edge attitude monitor I have hit 35 psi several times on big hills with a load. My buddy had a 7.3l PS when they first came out and his was in the shop every 20,000 miles or less for something, but I don't judge every 7.3l by that engine.

I couldn't agree more. After Ford got their heads around the problems, they were pretty good, except by then their reputation had been cast as being a crap engine. The 6.4 went through its teething problems, and the thing is is that with a DPF delete and some programming they are proving to be powerful, with really good mpg to boot. When these engines are in Navistar products, they are not that bad. Maybe it has to do with the ecms and power ratings since they usually are at much lower power settings in the MD trucks. As an aside, the 4.5l V6 version that they use in the LCF with the twin turbos has gotten really good reviews, you hardly ever hear of any complaints with that engine.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the only reliable 6.0 on the road.

after listening to some people on here, I was starting to think I had the only reliable one on the road. Mine's an 'o6 w/125k it's spent the majority of the last 105k under a 35' gooseneck. I change the oil and filters every 5k. I've got an Edge Juice w/Attitude. Egt's have never been over 1100, according to the attitude monitor, since I've had it. I think I've added a total of 2 gallons of antifreeze between flushes. The only time it's been back to the ford house was to get the tranny flushed, scheduled maintainence. The ONLY thing I don't like about Gertrude:love:.......... are her payments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01