getrag venting

roamaround

Reaction score
I hope someone can answer this question.

Should I be concerned that it seems that my 360 doesn't vent. Sounds strange to have done this but i rigged a hose up to passenger side PTO top bolt hole. The bolt hole does go through the cast iron case. I blew on the hose and when I released the pressure into the case the pressure blew right back out. I thought the shift shaft socket would yield enough tolerance to let pressure in and out the tranny????? There is a vent on top of housing.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic?

Also what is a too high of a temp while towing with this tranny?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Maybe there are different top covers or shifter cover but mine does have a vent on the top cover I removed the cap since I overfill mine and don't want the oil to drip from it and put a hose going up on it. Now I can overfill it and not a single drip comes from it.
As far a temps go I can't really tell but I would provably keep it under 230f, best way to do it is NOT towing on 5th gear and if You want to spend the money there are some coolers You can bolt to the pto covers.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GETRAG vent or lack thereof topic often comes up.

On most that I have seen (I own several), there is a jiggle-cap gizmo on the top plate that is the vent.

I have read it claimed that they also vent through the shifter.

I have never looked into doing as Exekiel did; but replacing that short little deal with a hose would have to be better.

The early Dodges have a cable-driven speedometer; others have some silly electronic mess.

I have noticed on the cable-drive ones that the Getrag fluid seeps out into the cable and then runs back down the outside of the cable-housing and drips off; not enough to be a big leak, but just barely enough that the cable is always wet with fluid.