getrag 360 oil temp

roamaround

Reaction score
Anybody know what the max temp on a getrag should be when towing?
I use a very good Schaffer synthetic oil. 20w 50. I run a long 20 mile hill at about 240 degrees 4th gear . I just switched to the recomended 10w30 weight and ran 275 deg while towing a different grade in 5th gear. Not sure if this is safe. Flat ground it runs about 200 while towing. I usually am towing around 20k lbs including the truck weight.

roamaround

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

know where to get a getrag cooler?????

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I know there is a cooler You can bolt on each side of the tranny but I lost the link to it, maybe You can find it at Geno's garage. I wouldn't tow up a hill with 20k in 5th, for that situation I would provably downshift and go up in 4th or another gear but that is just Me. I have seen others add a low pressure pump and a cooler to the getrag, I guess that is ideal.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep Genos sells an external aluminum cooler fro all manual trannies that bolts between the trannie housing and the PTO cover. And I agree that towing a heavy load up a long hill in OD is probably bad unless you're overfilled. Oh and unless I'm off my rocker, recommended fluid for the G360 is 5w30 so that may attribute to some of the issues.

roamaround

Reaction score
Yep Genos sells an external aluminum cooler fro all manual trannies that bolts between the trannie housing and the PTO cover. And I agree that towing a heavy load up a long hill in OD is probably bad unless you're overfilled. Oh and unless I'm off my rocker, recommended fluid for the G360 is 5w30 so that may attribute to some of the issues.

Your right on the call for 5w30. I've been using 20w50 and just recentlty went down in viscosity to a good 10w30. This is when I was alarmed on the temp. Same grade same load with 20w50 ran 240deg. with 10w30 it ran 275 same grade. just was wondering what others were seeing. This hill I run is about a 1 to 2 percent for 70 miles or so. Could this be the real issue in fifth gear. Engine handles it but not tranny??? 6percent grade 4th gear 20 miles =240 deg. Is this likely because 4th has less tourque on it when towing?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This is the cooler I'm talking about and it should help with the high temp when towing as well as the synthetic 5-30w oil. Many use Mobil but I guess any good synthetic oil should do the job. The engine should have more towing power and torque in 4th than it does in 5th but this is just Me thinking. I rather not tow heavy in 5th/OD with this tranny.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm running Lucas full synthetic 5w30 in my 'Rag and like it. I'll probably switch to AmsOil when my next interval comes. remember that 20k GCWR is a pretty hefty load and even though your engine has the power to haul it in OD it may not be the best for the drive train. Just out of curiosity what gears are you running out back?

roamaround

Reaction score
I'm running Lucas full synthetic 5w30 in my 'Rag and like it. I'll probably switch to AmsOil when my next interval comes. remember that 20k GCWR is a pretty hefty load and even though your engine has the power to haul it in OD it may not be the best for the drive train. Just out of curiosity what gears are you running out back?

I'm running 410's . All other gear oil runs cool, transfer case 170 to 200, diff 180 to 200. The RAG just has me a bit concerned at 275. Straight aways no prob at 190 to 210I'm going to run the same hill in a week and will take some advice here on the 4th gear. It bothers me with no tack what my rpm's might be in 4th. Good advice from people here.

roamaround

Reaction score
This is the cooler I'm talking about and it should help with the high temp when towing as well as the synthetic 5-30w oil. Many use Mobil but I guess any good synthetic oil should do the job. The engine should have more towing power and torque in 4th than it does in 5th but this is just Me thinking. I rather not tow heavy in 5th/OD with this tranny.

thanks I will look into this for sure.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well for reference I can tell you that I hit the rev limiter in 4th at around 50-55ish with my 3.55s. Stock these trucks limit out about 2600 RPMs however running them that high will not do any damage to the motor. I would start with the external coolers. You can actually install one in each PTO cover to give you more cooling ability. If that doesn't lower it enough then you can go to a local RV store and get them to install an auxiliary trannie cooler somehow. Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on the trannie? I'm wondering if you have something worn or in a bind that may be causing the excessive heat build-up.

Another option if you want to help the trannie fluid live a little longer is to install one of these:
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=K1444-0060-FLTR KIT

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

know where to get a getrag cooler?????

Manual tranny cooler at Dieselsite.

If you are running a good synthetic you should have no worries at all at 240 degrees. Your oil wont even begin to degrade until you approach 300. On a hot day my Sportster will run at 280 all day long on the oil temp. I know thats a V-twin engine versus a getrag tranny but...... its all the same, lubrication of rotating assemblies.

roamaround

Reaction score
Well for reference I can tell you that I hit the rev limiter in 4th at around 50-55ish with my 3.55s. Stock these trucks limit out about 2600 RPMs however running them that high will not do any damage to the motor. I would start with the external coolers. You can actually install one in each PTO cover to give you more cooling ability. If that doesn't lower it enough then you can go to a local RV store and get them to install an auxiliary trannie cooler somehow. Just out of curiosity, how many miles do you have on the trannie? I'm wondering if you have something worn or in a bind that may be causing the excessive heat build-up.

Another option if you want to help the trannie fluid live a little longer is to install one of these:
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=K1444-0060-FLTR KIT

I've only got 60 k to 70 k on it. rebuilt from a reputable company in Oregon.
ever heard of an axillary pump for a Rag?

roamaround

Reaction score
I drove it out in desert yesterday to find a steep hill to point the Rag nose up hill. Was able to get the 1.5 extra quart in it. What a hill. Cracked me up, other 4x4's kept coming around wondering if I was stuck and ok.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yeah that's the problem with the Rag. Overfilling it is a pain in the rear. One trick that others have used is to create a filler neck and use the top PTO bolt hole to overfill.

Never heard of an auxiliary pump for the Rag though.