Gear Vender Hows and whay for a 10 thumber

barefootslim

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm starting to think about about a gear vender set up on the red rider (still working on the name) Fuel milage is not bad but no OD is going to wear out the wallet.
I've got my 1991 Oldsmobile "98" up for sale, it's only got 67 k on it and rides like it's on rails. I'm also putting up my 97 Dodge heavy half ton with the 3.9 v-6. It's been one of the most reliable trucks I've ever owned! The 03 SWB with the 3.7 is probably be around for a while. It's flat **** fun to drive!

So how hard is the gear vender to install? How much do it cost and how about reliability? forgive me I'm a city boy (once removed at last) I'm up in the oZarks now and plan on seeing as many junk stores as I can!
Slimster

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
Usually the GV mounts to the back of the transmission with a special adapter, replacing the tail housing. They are around 2k new. I would look into a 3 speed Brownie box, alot more stout behind the diesel torque and can be had in low, direct, over which is nice in a 2wd to get that deep reduction.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yep they typically replace the tail housing on the trannie through an adapter. The driveshaft will have to be modified as well. Some are electronically controlled, others are lever action. IIRC they can be had with different reduction ratios. Most of your RV dealers can hook you up with one. I know that the Camping World near here has them and will install them.

The Brownie box is the best though since it's a triple range box. They aren't made anymore from what I can tell so it'll take some hunting. Tey have a low, direct, and high range which gives you the luxury of a really deep pulling gear, normal gear like you have now, and a high range for running empty and good mileage.

barefootslim

Reaction score
Overdrive overdrive

Hey guy's,
Thanks for the info and sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Ghost in the password machine as it were:dunno Any how I'm going to keep this one even though it don't have a mega big gulp cup holder and the weirdly placed radio with one speaker working plus the passenger window ain't werkin:sly yeah I know wahhh wahhh wahhhh!!!!;Sweet I FLAT **** LIKE THE RIG:thumbsup: FIRST DIESEL AND IT'S GREAT, JUST CAIN'T GET THE RATTLE TO QUIT :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmaoRATTLIN

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My driver window quit working not long after buying my truck. You could hear the motor run, but the window could be pulled up and down by hand. It was the plastic gear inside the window motor transmission. It was available at Napa and was dirt cheap. Just thought I'd share if'n that's what your windows are doing.
Travis..

barefootslim

Reaction score
Hey Travis,
Thanks for the heads up;Sweet
The window is on the list as well as the cruise control, I might even try and figure out why the brake lights on the dash stay on:confused::dunno:sly
I'm about to put the 97, and the 02 up for sale (Both 6cyl gas) I'm selling my camper trailer on Craigs list. Some one wants to trade a fully restored 84 cj 7 straight across for it:thumbsup: Dunno if it's a good deal or not. Just need to look it over and go from there.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to load pics of the truck on this site. Every time I try it it's denied for being to big. I've tried to down size em and zip file em, no luck:dunno:dunno:dunno;Sweet;Sweet
Slim

fellro86

Reaction score
Since the overdrive unit is housed in the tranny on the Dodge 518 and 618, the GV unit is stand alone. The one that came with my 92 replaced the carrier bearing and mounts to the frame. There is a drive shaft between the trans and the GV unit. It might mount straight on if you have a plain 727 without overdrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online