Gauge install advice needed.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a turbo, go into the bottom of the uppipe or turbo bracket where you can easily get to the bottom of the pipe. The short distance between exhaust and pipe woln't make that much difference and you'll see a more average flow.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. I have the pyro probe, boost and all wires run to cab. I have not put in the water temp probe because I have not had a chance to get more coolant, does anyone have a guess on how much I need to drain out of the radiator? I may wait and do the temp probe when I change the thermostat, but if I only have to replace a few gallons to do the probe I will go ahead and do it but I suspect I will have to drain most of the coolant.

Power for the gauges is easy, I got some taps for the fuse panel but what I am having trouble with is the rheostat feed for dimming the lights. I had planned on using the bulb feed for the ashtray but I am not finding a bulb in there, which is crazy, there has to be one but it does not light up at night? This truck is an XLT, there should be a bulb there? I am trying to avoid taking the dash apart, the bezel is broken in a few places and just glued back together. What am I missing? I am going deeper into the ash tray area, maybe the retainer for the bulb is loose and dropped out of sight. I cannot think of any easier to get to dimmable wire than that one. Any ideas?

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the bulb, it is burned out but at least I can tap of off it now and add the bulb to my shopping list.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Hey there, going to do a quad pod on the pillar:
Boost
EGT
Oil temp
Fuel pressure
Where can a guy install oil temp sender?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For oil temp??? Are you turbo or NA?

There's not too many places to get to the oil. If it were me and I really wanted oil temp I'd weld a bung in the pan or run a probe through the mechanical fuel pump block off plate if you have one. A thermocouple bent 90 down into the pan could be done there. Other than that, next best I suppose would be anywhere you have an oil pressure port that will let you get the probe into the stream. That's pretty limited.

shawn deere

Reaction score
For oil temp??? Are you turbo or NA?

There's not too many places to get to the oil. If it were me and I really wanted oil temp I'd weld a bung in the pan or run a probe through the mechanical fuel pump block off plate if you have one. A thermocouple bent 90 down into the pan could be done there. Other than that, next best I suppose would be anywhere you have an oil pressure port that will let you get the probe into the stream. That's pretty limited.

Yup, shes turboed
I do want an oil temp gauge, for example: on a '55 series john deere tractor it has been known to push the rear main out dumping oil into the transmission. Theres an oil pressure gauge, but by the time it looses pressure the engine is toast. If a dude had an oil temp gauge, and checked it, the engine would be saved.

Plus its neat to know what the oil temp is, lol.

How far from the mechanical fuel pump plate to the oil below do you suppose?

It'd be cool to relocate the fuel filter to make some room for an intercooler at some point anyways. Seen a guy had an elect pump and filters on frame rail, might high jack his idea and place a setup under my flatbed, shes got some real estate between the flatbed and bottom of the frame...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you're worried about installing the pyro probe, you could pull the exhaust manifold off. It would be more work, but then you would have plenty of room to drill and tap. You could also blow out the shavings before you install it.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laserjock, when you said "If you are NA, just start the truck and drill. Won't have to worry about the metal shavings.", do you literally mean to have the truck running while drilling or would it be just as effective to drill and then run the engine? I am nervous about drilling the manifold and do not want to screw this up.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laserjock, when you said "If you are NA, just start the truck and drill. Won't have to worry about the metal shavings.", do you literally mean to have the truck running while drilling or would it be just as effective to drill and then run the engine?
I'm pretty sure he means drill it while running. As the exhaust will be under pressure, any chips will flow down the exhaust instead of into the exhaust manifold.
I am nervous about drilling the manifold and do not want to screw this up.

Then just pull the manifold. Two nuts to take the exhaust off, and then just take the bolts holding it to the head off. Pull it out, do what you have to do and reinstall it.

It's a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't even worry about it if you don't have a turbo. Drill and tap and don't give it a second though.

Make sure not to install the probe all the way and in. The tip should be at the center of the inside diameter of the manifold.

shawn deere

Reaction score
Fyi
1/8" NPT needs an 11/32" drill bit
I believe im going to do my egt in the Y pipe just before turbo.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should keep the probe as close to the exhaust valve as possible. You will get more accurate readings.