Fuel savings with a TDI over 40K miles

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I post this not to brag, but to show the benefit of a VW TDI :angel: (okay, maybe I'm bragging a bit) LOL

I've owned my 2001 Jetta TDI for about three years now. In that time, I've driven the car just shy of 40,000 miles. The Jetta replaced an M-B 300D, which was a good and very reliable car, but for some reason was "only" doing 22 mpg (in my experience, 25 to 27 is more normal out of an OM617).

Running the numbers through a spreadsheet, with assuming the average cost of diesel fuel at $4.00 per gallon, I estimate that I've saved $3,700 in fuel compared to if I had driven the M-B that 40K miles. The Jetta's had a few maintenance issues, and is about due for a timing belt job...but, she's been very reliable overall, and at the rate I'm going, she's just past halfway towards paying for herself in fuel savings :shocked: ;Sweet

Okay, I'm done...just had to share :angel:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced by daily driver about 18 months (35k miles) ago with a 2003 TDI. Aside from it looking like a cheerleader car, I can't argue with about 50mpg on the highway. I bought it right and it's already paid me back.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, I wanted to take out a loan to buy my car, as a credit-building exercise (my credit rating's good, but I don't have much history, and in this area having good credit is mandatory if you want to buy a house, unless you have 7 figures set aside)...but, because handling the paperwork on the car took over a month, doing the loan was going to be more hassle than it was worth, so I ended up paying cash outright. So, I own her free and clear ;Sweet

As to the "cheerleader car" thing...I've heard that a few times, but for 45 mpg+ on the highway, I don't really care what others say :D (that doesn't mean I'll ever look at a Pious, though; they don'' do that well on fuel on the highway and I hate the smug attitude of their owners)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm glad as heck that I have a TDI. My commute these days is around 130 miles a day 4-5 days a week! These last 6 months I have put on around 15K miles (yes more driving than I am currently doing)!

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine should turn 200k next month sometime and then I have to get ready for the TB/WP/etc service, it's still on original struts which will come due for replacement soon thereafter, and by then the tires will be about half life. I have no problem putting the money into keeping it going because it's been so reliable and efficient for me. The body is in good shape (had the driver front fender replaced under recall in March) , interior is clean, it runs very well, and the ALH engines are probably the best ones VW ever made. I would like a little more ground clearance and will be replacing the springs all around with the suspension with Moogs and may go with the 1" Evolution lift when the time comes for the suspension work.

I know people who bought new Priuses (with a loan at $25k) who were gushing about their 40mpg and if I don't stomp on it and keep it at 60mph, I get close to 60mpg. When I brought that up to a particularly ornery owner her response was 'does yours have navigation and bluetooth?' and I just shook my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88