fuel pump set up

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck currently has a scarily small electric fuel pump feeding the motor. I have bought a stock fuel pump because of its robustness, particularly pumping vegoil which I will be doing soon. Electric fuel pumps simply aren't reliable pumping vegetable oil unless you spend big money on them (around $600) according to my research. However, I love the idea of being able to run an electric pump to feed the motor in the inevitable even of air intrusion, letting the little pump work instead of cranking the whole V-8 over to do so.

Here is my idea. The fuel lines will head toward the two pumps (stock mechanical and electric) and split into two lines. They will go through their respective pumps, then back together and on to the IP. The mechanical pump will do 99% of the work, I'll have a switch in the cab to use to prime lines, or could even run with it in the event of a mechanical pump failure. I figure I'd need a check valve on the IP side of each pump, to prevent pressurized fuel from running backward through the electric pump (which may not even be possible, I dunno) or if it was a failed stock pump I don't want to be filling my crankcase with diesel. Does this setup make sense? I think it would give me the longevity of the mechanical pump, with the convenience of the electric pump.

Another question I have is where to get check valves. I've heard talk of them but never used or even seen one. I looked at mcmaster and didn't see anything that looked like it would work. Would NAPA have something that would work for me, something that would just install in the 3/8 fuel line?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These people will have any kind of check-valve you need :

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I have done business with them many times.

I have already done pretty much what you are wanting to do.

I have an electric-fuel-pump in a BY-PASS line with a check-valve on the out-put end of the pump.

This E-pump by-pass TEEs back into the MAIN FUEL-LINE ahead of my gauntlet of filters.

Then, there is a check-valve protected BY-PASS around the mechanical lift-pump, with TWO check-valves, one on each leg, such that neither pump can push fuel against the other.

I do not have to open/close any valves to bring the electric-pump into action; I just flip a switch and it is immediately ON.

Since I have THREE fuel-tanks, I went further and added a RETURN-LINE BY-PASS, such that I can pull the fuel from any tank and return it to another; this feature is very handy when a tank needs repair/maintenance as I can flip a switch and draw it dry.

Since I have seven trucks, plus numerous tractors, I also added a valved Quik-Couple connection, such that I can couple on a hose and pump fuel from either of my three tanks into any other vehicle, bucket, or tea-cup, as I so desire.

This Quik-Couple connection is after the filters, such that the fuel coming from it has also been magnetized, separated, and filtered.

I buy every decent electric fuel-pump that I see at swap-meets and now have quite the collection.

I find many uses for them.;Sweet

But, I want a mechanical pump on my engines; the electrics are just for stand-by and convenience.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have an electric-fuel-pump in a BY-PASS line with a check-valve on the out-put end of the pump.

This E-pump by-pass TEEs back into the MAIN FUEL-LINE ahead of my gauntlet of filters.

Then, there is a check-valve protected BY-PASS around the mechanical lift-pump, with TWO check-valves, one on each leg, such that neither pump can push fuel against the other.

I do not have to open/close any valves to bring the electric-pump into action; I just flip a switch and it is immediately ON.

Since I have THREE fuel-tanks, I went further and added a RETURN-LINE BY-PASS, such that I can pull the fuel from any tank and return it to another; this feature is very handy when a tank needs repair/maintenance as I can flip a switch and draw it dry.

Since I have seven trucks, plus numerous tractors, I also added a valved Quik-Couple connection, such that I can couple on a hose and pump fuel from either of my three tanks into any other vehicle, bucket, or tea-cup, as I so desire.

This Quik-Couple connection is after the filters, such that the fuel coming from it has also been magnetized, separated, and filtered.
I would like to see pictures of this?;Really