fuel pressure problem- no power

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've fully restored a 94 IDI factory turbo CC F350, and I'm seriously disappointed with the power. I'm not gonna turn up the IP or the wastegate until the motor gets a few more miles on it, but I think I discovered what the problem is. I put a 1/8" T fitting on where the fuel shrader valve threads into the filter housing, so I could install a fuel pressure gauge. It has 4 psi running at idle, but when goose the IP, I watch the pressure gauge fall to zero, then pick back up. I'd love to watch fuel pressure in the cab when the boost hits, but I think this is the problem. I think its just not getting the volume of fuel it needs.

I need to tell you that I installed a Carter inline fuel pump directly below the driver's seat on the frame rail. Its a pump made for a 6.5 turbo Chevy. It confuses me how this pump can't supply enough volume/pressure. Or maybe I'm wrong? When I goose the IP, I figured the psi would fall one or two psi, but it doesn't make a lot of pressure to begin with, so maybe this is just the nature of the beast?

I've already got the fuel line splice on the frame rail. The 6.5 chevy and the gen 2 powerstroke both have the pump on the frame rail, so I really don't think there should be an issue with where i put it.

If ya'll could help me out with any advice, I sure would appreciate it!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Really need to know the volume of that pump.

Did you bypass the stock mechanical lift pump or is it still inline?

FARMFUEL

VEGGIE BURNER
Reaction score
Yea, when I built the motor, I installed a BBC block off plate, so its got just the inline Carter on the frame rail. I read somewhere one pint in 30 seconds, with regard to a volume test. Does that sound accurate?

I was reading that folks seem to like the Holley red and blue pumps, but the blue pump may make the timing a little more advanced, due to more fuel pressure?

Also, I have a Napa account, but couldn't find this Facet Duralift pump on their website. I like the filter element pre filter header on the Dura-lift, but it looks like the filter is just as much as our factory spin-ons. Common sense seems to tell me that the volume test would be a place to start. I would hate to throw more money at it, and it not fix anything. I just didn't like seeing that pressure gauge fall to zero, at the snap of throttle being applied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online