Fuel in the valley, again.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 95 F250 PSD for just about 2 years, the end January will be two years. When I first stole it, err...bought it, the truck was dumping a lot of fuel in the valley. I replaced the fuel pump (which I believe was the actual culprit), banjo bolt crush washers, fuel lines between the fuel bowl/ pump, and o rings in the fuel bowl and fuel filter. Problem fixed and dry valley.
Now, just about 2 years and almost (not quite) 20k miles later I have a valley full of fuel again.
Last week I changed my fuel filter ( jour the first time since) hoping that the fuel filter o ring went bad and/or it was clogging up causing the fuel in the valley. Nope.
So, do you think it's actually likely the fuel pump has gone bad (bought at NAPA) in two years/ 20k miles? Or would you suspect a different culprit? Banjo bolt crush washers (autozone)? O rings in fuel bowl (diesel o rings)?
I'm not currently sure where to start and I haven't yet. I'm actually pretty disappointed to have this problem again, because my idea was to shotgun method everything in there to make sure I wouldn't have to worry about it again for years (more than 2). Surely a fuel pump would last longer than 20k miles/ 2 years. Surely, also, if there was a flaw in my work it would have shown up before now. Of course it's recently gotten cold and the cold always stresses the weakest parts. I'm always having to work on my truck in the winter.
Sorry for the novel, and thanks for any help.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The filter restriction sensor could be a likely culprit.
Or the olives in the line's from the pump, where they connect to the head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran across the filter restriction sensor being a problem back when I did the initial work but I can't remember the specifics.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, in the early PSD fuel bowls the filter restriction sensor is on the back side, bottom, just above where the fuel pump lines come in?
I did see fuel drip down into the passenger side line coming from the fuel pump. I believe that is the fuel restriction sensor.
Those can be pulled out and plugged, right. I seem to recall that was the general suggestion when I researched the first time but I elected to keep everything intact.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah. Lol
I got pretty good at taking mine out.
But I went efuel a year ago and I'll never look back. Lol

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my plan, fix the leak that first time and then, supposedly, before I had to deal with it again go e-fuel. Then, I started building a house. Lol

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deleted all of the BS sensors, heater, etc on the fuel bowl on my 97 within weeks of buying it. 14 years later no problems with the fuel system.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have done that, but I was very inexperienced then, and still am a fair bit, so I didn't want to get to radical. I also thought I'd get to the e-fuel faster. Lol

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the fuel bowl out and plugged the fuel restriction sensor. That was 24 hrs and 50 miles ago and the valley is dry.

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
I have the same issue after I replaced the pump and am not sure where this is coming from. Where are the things I can bypass or eliminate, diagram or picture greatly appreciated. I am a pull off and replace person, none mechanic so not sure. I am pulling the bowl back off tomorrow thinking the leak is coming from the line in the bottom of the bowl or somewhere else on it.
also How do I crank to get pluger up so I dont drop it in, was lucky the first time.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nothing you can bypass unless you're going to efuel.
Get a rebuild kit at diesel orings.
Make sure you have the banjo bolt washers.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're definitely best off replacing every soft part in your fuel bowl and all of the fuel lines between the pump and fuel bowl.
Diesel O Rings is definitely the source as well.
You'll have to find the fuel pump banjo bolt crush washers separately, though. I got might from O'Rielly I think.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And either replace the Fuel restriction sensor, or plug the hole.
Common leak point as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online