fuel filter housing.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sell them on eBay, but be prepared to open up your wallet....they ain't cheap.

Why do you need one?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. They are available on ebay all the time both new and used. New is VERY EXPENSIVE.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its leaking on top from where I believe a sensor was at water sensor maybe. It looked like the PO put a brass plug in place of it once I noticed this was weeping fuel I removed it to find that the threads were trashed inside of the housing. So on a leap of faith I applyed a healthy coating of thread dope and screwed it back down seemed fine for about a week but is now leaking again. I do have a old housing off my parts truck it got a bit burnt tho in a fire.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't weld brass to aluminum. I've tig welded many housings off of dodges for our local diesel mechanic. Just fill the hole with weld.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Many times all we need is a clean filter head and fill that hester plug electrical hole with RTV. Let it dry and no more leaks. At best we have 7 lbs of fuel pressure in this area. Not seeing what you have by the bad threads tells me its not going to be hard to fix with RTV but make sure everything is clean with brakclean. then diy. then allow full cure. Even JB Weld works great in this area.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know... I'll bet you could use a freeze plug. Just drill out the 'threads' to whatever size you need for a freeze plug, then just press it in. Those suckers /work/, and are pretty cheap. You can also add a layer of RTV as added protection.

Personally, I did something similar on one truck, but instead of a freeze plug, I just turned a little scrap of aluminum to the right diameter and pressed it in. Worked like a charm!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know... I'll bet you could use a freeze plug. Just drill out the 'threads' to whatever size you need for a freeze plug, then just press it in. Those suckers /work/, and are pretty cheap. You can also add a layer of RTV as added protection.

Personally, I did something similar on one truck, but instead of a freeze plug, I just turned a little scrap of aluminum to the right diameter and pressed it in. Worked like a charm!

Did this exact same thing when I put a 7.3 idi filter head on my truck. Found a freeze plug that would fit and used red loctite when I pressed it in. No leaks and works well.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After giving it some thought I figured JB weld would work in this case. Going to unthread the plug again today and try again.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I cant stand the stock filter housings. the only thing they do is filter fuel,
evacuate air, and in a engineers mind, warm the fuel up.

I get racor or other units of the line and replace them.
I prefer my filters not to be over the engine and the exhaust manifold.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha ha yeah I was driving the other day pulling a trailer and all of a sudden began to notice a literal fog of white or blue smoke off the passenger side. Couldn't figure it out at first, gauges all looked fine, engine was running fine. Pulled over popped the hood and here the fuel filter had worked loose and was raining fuel down on the exhaust manifold. I had just come off of 1100 deg on the pyro. Sure was glad that diesel wasn't any more flammable than it is....