Fuel filter brass fitting leak.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice the other day I am weeping some fuel around the threads of the brass fittings coming off of the fuel filter to the pump, should I remove theses fittings and use thread dope to reseal them?. Also to throw it out there I have two injector lines still leaking small amounts of fuel around the threads where they connect at the pump I have reseated them twice thinking I messed up but no luck, truck starts great no smoke no missing I wonder if the lines them selves are bad as if there warn out, might have to try some new ones.

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
Remove the leaky lines, look closely at both mating surfaces. If the inverted flares on the lines and or the flared fittings on the injector pump are scored, polish them up with some fine Emory cloth and finish of with some green scotch brite pad. Hold the abrasive in one hand and use a twisting motion on the other hand holding the inverted flare or the pump flared fitting. Don't go crazy with it you just want to polish the metal to remove the scoring between the two mating surfaces. Clean the line by dripping some isopropyl alcohol into it and blowing out with compressed air. Repeat twice before reinstalling the lines. Also do the same to clean the pump flare fittings. Torque the flared fittings to the pump with thread sealant. Torque the lines to the fittings on the pump and the injectors but don't go all gorilla on them. And make sure to reinstall the gang clamps with the rubber isolators. They prevent the lines from cracking due to metal fatigue caused by engine vibration. That will do the trick and remember if fuel can get out, then when you shut the engine off, and it cools down, air can also get in through the same path. Later fellas

rsaltaresjr

Reaction score
Also the brass fittings can be resealed with thread sealant onto the filter head, but if it's coming from the fitting on the line, it's because the rubber olive seal is bad. Make new ones by slicing 3/8" rubber vacuum line into 1/4" wide cross sections. You'll be making 1/4" wide rubber rings that kind of look like sliced black olives. Hence the name olive seals. Or pay a lot of money for the actual seals from ford. Later fellas.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the brass fittings can be resealed with thread sealant onto the filter head, but if it's coming from the fitting on the line, it's because the rubber olive seal is bad. Make new ones by slicing 3/8" rubber vacuum line into 1/4" wide cross sections. You'll be making 1/4" wide rubber rings that kind of look like sliced black olives. Hence the name olive seals. Or pay a lot of money for the actual seals from ford. Later fellas.
Thanks will give this a go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fitting on the back of the injection pump is a hard material and the torque on the threads into the housing ar 60 ft lbs. Most of the time when a hard line leaks at either end you will find a deep crease in the line fitting. Very seldom can you get a good seal after the line flair is damaged like that. I have several new sets of lines and some new single lines. Tell be what lines are bad and I can quote you a price.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fitting on the back of the injection pump is a hard material and the torque on the threads into the housing ar 60 ft lbs. Most of the time when a hard line leaks at either end you will find a deep crease in the line fitting. Very seldom can you get a good seal after the line flair is damaged like that. I have several new sets of lines and some new single lines. Tell be what lines are bad and I can quote you a price.
I will look for this when I pull the lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online