Foam Insulation Under Hood Cowling

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the hood cowling on my truck a couple weeks ago to fix a leak, and noticed the foam soundproofing was dry rotted and pretty much crumbled in my hands.

Does anyone know what this stuff is called... and where I can buy it? Regular weatherstrip from Home Depot is too light duty to do the job... this stuff is almost like the protection foam companies use to box computers or other delicate material in. Not easily compressed.

Learning something new about my truck every day... it's probably had a harder life than many...

Rust... at least one accident possibly... bondo on left fender flare... lots of cheap touch ups to make it look fixed (push pin for kick panel was broken... cap held onto panel by silicon)... etc.

Geez... nothing like slipshod repair jobs... :)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the underhood insulation? If so check out this link.

FordParts.com

About 131 dollars buys it. Less than a buck a piece for the retainer clips.

Mike

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or are you talking about the rear hood seal?

Rear seal ?

At any rate, if you werent aware of that web site already, it is a useful one to bookmark.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've taken a real liking to ripping that stuff out of any truck I have. I've removed the hood blankets from all of them now. Can't hear the engine with that junk in there, and when and if the fan belt goes, you'll have a nice chunk ripped out anyway. :rolleyes:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the foam you are seeing undeeer the cowl actually keeps the hot undeeerhood air from getting into the "fresh air" intake for the HVAC system. i've used the thickest weatherstripping foam strips and doubleed up wheere necessary to reeplicate the original thicckness.
yes....i know the left side keyboard keys stick on the 'puteer i am usning tonite.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by towcat
the foam you are seeing undeeer the cowl actually keeps the hot undeeerhood air from getting into the "fresh air" intake for the HVAC system. i've used the thickest weatherstripping foam strips and doubleed up wheere necessary to reeplicate the original thicckness.
yes....i know the left side keyboard keys stick on the 'puteer i am usning tonite.

Yeah... that sounds like what I seek. I hate to use the weatherstrip, just because I'm not sure how durable it is... and it is so squishy it just doesn't seem like the type of stuff that belongs under the hood.

I'll see what I can find, though. Thank you for your replies, folks.

dave85

Reaction score
You might try some of the black insulation that goes around water pipes. I glued some in my other truck and it was thewre when I sold it.
Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor