Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, guys, I am hesitant to declare victory yet, so I am not going to. BUT, this saga may be drawing to a close. I spent the last couple of days tearing into the truck and installed the new converter. "Houston, we have acheived lockup!" The Trans seems to be shifting properly, is locking and unlocking fine and is staying cool. Best of all, no codes!;Sweet I am feeling just a very slight "shudder" only when starting out on a steep grade (pulling into traffic from a steep uphill driveway) but I also had the trans overfilled by 3/4 qt. and there were some bubbles on the stick when I checked the level when hot. I have now corrected the overfill so we will see what it does tomorrow. The new FIPL that was installed by the second shop was also set to only 1.12 volts, so I bumped that up to 1.2 volts. When the converter locks, it is like another upshift - kind of suprised me - have 5 gears now. When getting on it hard, you can tell there is a shift kit in it as the shifts are pretty firm, but not objectionably so. I want to say "Thank You" to all who gave their time and advice and stuck with me through this. I really appreciate it!:hail I will be driving the truck to work this week so I will update again next weekend and hopefully it will be good news.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good news. I haven't felt anything like that in my truck, so hopefully I get to that point. I was originally on schedule to do my pump swap last weekend, but not only did that not happen, but I'm out for at least another couple weeks. Hopefully I'll have some news of my own here in the not too distant future.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool! about time right? crossing my fingers for ya lol.sounds very promising.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well, guys, I am hesitant to declare victory yet, so I am not going to. BUT, this saga may be drawing to a close. I spent the last couple of days tearing into the truck and installed the new converter. "Houston, we have acheived lockup!" The Trans seems to be shifting properly, is locking and unlocking fine and is staying cool. Best of all, no codes!;Sweet I am feeling just a very slight "shudder" only when starting out on a steep grade (pulling into traffic from a steep uphill driveway) but I also had the trans overfilled by 3/4 qt. and there were some bubbles on the stick when I checked the level when hot. I have now corrected the overfill so we will see what it does tomorrow. The new FIPL that was installed by the second shop was also set to only 1.12 volts, so I bumped that up to 1.2 volts. When the converter locks, it is like another upshift - kind of suprised me - have 5 gears now. When getting on it hard, you can tell there is a shift kit in it as the shifts are pretty firm, but not objectionably so. I want to say "Thank You" to all who gave their time and advice and stuck with me through this. I really appreciate it!:hail I will be driving the truck to work this week so I will update again next weekend and hopefully it will be good news.

The shudder you feel is first slipping a little. It could be from foam. It could be a sloppy spec in the clutch. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see a spike in temps.

Firm shifts are what you want. Converter lock up feels like another shift. You have it dialed in correctly.;Sweet

Now drive it like you stole it.:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the pretty Pink one is doing it's job. Happy to hear ya got'er going.

That 1st gear shudder should smooth out after sitting a day, the air will disipate. Overfill is really ******* these. I like to keep the level about an 1/8" from full when hot.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the pretty Pink one is doing it's job. Happy to hear ya got'er going.

That 1st gear shudder should smooth out after sitting a day, the air will disipate. Overfill is really ******* these. I like to keep the level about an 1/8" from full when hot.

Yep, the red converter is in and working. Didn't feel any shudder this morning. May also be a bit of axle wrap causing that shudder - the Bilstein HD's on the rear axle are shot. I need to get them sent in for a warranty claim.

Thanks for responses, guys - I am still hopeful that this will be the end of the trans issues for a while.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a few more trips on the truck yesterday. I think I need to back the FIPL off a bit. At 1.2 volts, the shifts have gotten harsher than I would like. It is fine as long as you are not getting too hard into the throttle, but if you have it to the floor the shifts are very hard (still fast and crisp though). In particular, the shift into OD under heavy throttle is pretty harsh. That concerns me as I don't know how well the stock OD parts would handle that over time. I have been having some fun with it though - almost like a C6 with manual valve body (well, not quite) so it is hard to keep my foot out of the throttle. That won't be any good for mileage! I also noticed when I went to adjust the FIPL that the No.2 return line had begun leaking. I suppose the return line from the IP to No.2 was disturbed when the shop installed the new FIPL. Now it is really leaking. Sigh, I had a good couple of years there when I did not have to mess with the fuel returns.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good news. I haven't felt anything like that in my truck, so hopefully I get to that point. I was originally on schedule to do my pump swap last weekend, but not only did that not happen, but I'm out for at least another couple weeks. Hopefully I'll have some news of my own here in the not too distant future.

Mccall - please let us know your pump swap turns out. Misery loves company!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uhh tbrumm .. These Disel lines, caps , O rings and the hole set up ..I been down that road ask me how i know Mate . after you install them you better don't even think to touch them, get near them or even look at them suckers LOL Or they will leak because they can , Because they are *******, They are blody evil's . Hate to say it but you might have to reseal them for the sake of it ..

On a side note i can't keep my foot off the throttle my self :sly

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mccall - please let us know your pump swap turns out. Misery loves company!

Got the pump in today, I do believe it's good.

I could tell an immediate difference once I got out on the road, drastic change in personality. In the beginning I set the lockup apply to be aggressive (0.093" orifice cup aperture per Transgo instructions), and there's no mistaking it going in and coming out. RPMs stay consistent uphill and downhill.

Feels like a completely different truck, I love it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez Todd, was almost afraid to read your last post, glad to hear it's good to go. Yeah, you can control the shift a little by the FIPL voltage, the shift kit will kinda bang in the shifts at WOT. It's Just getting use to it on how much throttle to give it.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez Todd, was almost afraid to read your last post, glad to hear it's good to go. Yeah, you can control the shift a little by the FIPL voltage, the shift kit will kinda bang in the shifts at WOT. It's Just getting use to it on how much throttle to give it.

Yep - all seems to be working. At WOT she does shift pretty hard, but it is not a long, drawn out shift with a bang at the end of it-More like a quick, hard shove. I am glad that I did not have the calibration plate holes drilled any larger that is for sure (used the 6 cylinder hole sizes as recommended by TransGo). The red TC you sold me is working great and when it locks, it is just like another upshift. I haven't pulled anything with the truck yet so we'll see what happens when I have to tow something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online