fluid capacity e4od

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I recently just finished putting a transmission in my 92 f350. I went to orileys and they said it held 15qts. So i bought 24qts because i have a mag-hytec deep pan that from what ive researched holds 8qts minimum and i also needed fluid to fill the torque converter. I was in such a rush to get it running again(its been sitting for 8 months) that i poured about 20qts in. when i pull the dipstick out to check the fluid cold the whole stick is covered. Can i run the truck in idle to warm the fluid and not have any problems if it is overfilled????

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Start it, let it warm up then recheck the fluid level with the engine running.

If it is over filled, drain some fluid out before driving it.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in such a rush to get it running again(its been sitting for 8 months) that i poured about 20qts in. when i pull the dipstick out to check the fluid cold the whole stick is covered. Can i run the truck in idle to warm the fluid and not have any problems if it is overfilled????

It's been my experience that the dipstick cold fill line is meaningless. The only way to get a good baseline measurement is with the engine running, and then once the fluid is hot, check it again to see if it's full or not.

When I installed a B&M pan on my C6 a while back, it said to use 6 quarts and it ended up taking ~9 to refill. That was without draining the torque converter. Not sure if the E40D has additional capacity or not, but to me, 20 quarts sounds overfilled.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have not started the engine the fluid will not have filled the converter. I too have the same pan so I know it holds an EXTRA 2 gallons of fluid. When you start the engine wait a few seconds and shift thru the gears but do not drive it. Remember you can ONLY check the trans level on a running engine in park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online