First Diesel build advice.

bwescott

Reaction score
Hi, am new to the board and need some advice. Just finishing up a 75 Power Wagon project, looking forward to the next one, which will be my first diesel project. Always been a mopar man, but want some advice on building a diesel. Thinking that I want to swap a 12 valve into an old four door power wagon. Want to run a VE pumped 12 valve and an NV4500, at around 300 to 350 horses and about 700 to 750 ft/lb. The truck will be used as daily driver that I can tow with (IE EGT wont get to hot on long passes) I live near 4,000 ft and regularly go higher. Would not mind some smoke when starting out, but would like it to be reasonable, don’t want to kill mileage. Does this sound like a reasonable expectation for power? How can I make this kind of power?

Was thinking that I would start with a non IC motor, add a power stroke IC, open up the exhaust, say a 4” single split to 4” duals exiting behind the tires. But where do I go from there, injectors, turbo, fuel pin, pump tuning etc, please be specific. Don’t mind scrounging used parts and heavy fabrication, its actually preferred. Project is still in the planning stages, but any help would be appreciated. Really like the simplicity of old trucks and think a diesel would be good for my next project, and as always want to keep it mopar/cummins. Thanks guys, Buck Wescott

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the power questions, my truck is pretty stock with minor tweaks. BUT, if you are gonna go to the trouble of swapping a different trans behind the engine than would have come in a first gen cummins truck, spend your money on a 6 speed. If you want to stay 5 speed, just buy a running donor truck with a good Getrag and be happy. My reasoning is this, a 4500 didn't come behind first gen trucks, and basically require a different bellhousing/motor plate "package" than a Getrag. So, if you are going to source your parts individually, just go for a 6 speed instead. The gear splits in a 6 speed are infinitely better than either 5 speed.
Travis..

bwescott

Reaction score
Thanks, been pondering that thought, just kinda figured the 5 speed would be more plentiful and cheaper to do. I know from trucks I run at work that I like the 6 much better for towing, my 6 pulls alot better than another one of the guys 5 speed, both pretty much identical f350s with 7.3s. Will look into the cost difference.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use what you can get, but if you are building a truck, build it right;Sweet If my Getrag ever dies, I will seriously look into swapping a 6 speed in its place. As it is, the Getrag is holding on smooth and steady @ 160k.
Travis..

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
As far as the power goes, my recommendation would be the following:
1. KDP
2. Injectors (probably DD4s though you can probably get where you want with a set of PODs)
3. Powerstroke IC - this may be difficult depending on application
4. Turbo - I'm thinking a S300 or maybe a set of towing twins if you can fit them.
5. Fire ring the head - if you don't do this you will pop the head gasket somewhere north of 30psi and these trucks make a lot of boost.
6. ATS 3-piece exhaust manifold
7. Exhaust like you already talked about.
8. Replace the factory 1st Gen lift pump for the 2nd Gen P-pump lift pump
9. Crank up the fuel screw on the VE.
10. Suitable clutch to put the power to the ground.

KD93

Reaction score
If you start with a non I/C engine, you should be able to make 350 on the stock injectors. They flow a little more fuel than the later I/C injectors do. I'd definately go for a PS I/C, unless you can get someone to make you one for good money. From what I understand, it's not too big a deal to fit. You say you want to fab stuff up so it'll be a breeze! A bigger compressor wheel, (60mm) will help both EGT's and boost, but if the turbine has a 21cm housing you're going to want to go something smaller. A'course, as Rebal_Horseman says, an S300, HX40 or small set of twins will also get you more than enough boost!
Rebal_Horseman basically said the rest in his post, and you seem to have a pretty good idea about what you want to do, so that makes it a lot easier! Nothing worse than starting something, then halfway through changing the goal and realising you just dropped a bunch of fat cash on stuff that ain't going to work now... :mad: