Filtration Spec Question

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so after putting my bypass filter on my truck I've been doing some reading online seeing if there are any better options for the base that I got for my bypass filter which was this baldwin one
PART NUMBER: OB1305

Descriptions : By-Pass Lube Filter Base
Use_With : B50, B164, BT341
Contains : Threaded Stud 5/8-18
O.D. : 4 1/4 (108.0)
Inlet : 1/8 In. NPT
Outlet : 1/8 In. NPT
Length : 2 3/4 (69.9)

I got the B164 filter for my base because it was the largest filter of the three that were listed with it. I really like it so far and can honestly say that I visibly see a difference in my oil on the dipstick after running it for 800 miles. I installed it on oil that had 1500 miles on it and didn't feel like dumping out 11 quarts of synthetic oil that was still new, but there is actually a hint of brown in my oil now.

My question is, are there any better filters micron rating that will fit my filter base? After digging around on google for a long long time I found two to three threads that confirm similar information from others calling baldwin and getting told that the B164 (and the other two filters) are rated at 2 micron nominal and 10-12 absolute depending on flow rate. Even with that, that's a lot better then what the PSD full flow regular filter I'm running is doing, but it would be nice to find one that fits my base that does say 5-7 microns absolute if possible. I just can't seem to find anything online that is compatible. That being said maybe there isn't one. It wouldn't be a nightmare if I leave it be with this filter until summer and switch the base if there is a bypass I find that filters down better as I mounted it in the engine bay by the AC low pressure port / where the factory jack was located. Just might have to get adapters for the 1/8 npt ends on the inlet and outlet of my hoses.

I would be nice if any of the 100+ hastings filters at my local Rural King had literally any specs listed online or anyone at the store had any idea what I meant when I asked them if I knew what they filtered to. One guy replied the engine. Thanks. I wasn't sure there. They have a good 12-15 bypass filters and 5 of them fit my base when I brought it in with me, but again pretty much useless.

I don't know why filter companies don't advertise better what their products actually filter to. It shouldn't be secret info, when that's literally the only reason someone is buying the product. I'm not getting it because it's orange and it looks pretty in my engine bay. Nothing looks pretty in there.

Also, has anyone ever installed the giant donaldson filter https://www.amazon.com/Donaldson-EL...=1482419218&sr=8-3&keywords=donaldson+elf7405 on a two wheel drive idi (signatures are gone on mobile for me, so 1990 F350 Crew Cab ZF), I had looked into getting one of those once but I don't see how it will being longer without bumping into some metal. It's 11.7 inches verses the 8.3 of our FL1995 filters.

Not trying to become a filtration nut and run my oil for 10k, just don't mind spending an extra 200 on my bypass system like I did and buying a more expensive filter if it genuinely will help the truck last. I know the common theory is all this filtration helps the oil last not the engine, but I don't totally buy into that. Cleaner oil the last 500 miles of a cycle of oil has to be better for the engine then soot filled gunk.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Try Amsoil bypass filters- I don't know if they have any that will fit your base, but I didn't see you mention them in your search results.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried looking some of those up and I've came to the consensus that amsoil doesn't make any that have that sized thread (probably so you buy their size base).

I found this list of different filters that fit my size threaded base:

2 Spin-On filter: The following filters have 5/8-18 thread to fit the above filter base and have 10 micron or finer filtration with restrictor orifices for flow control.
Some spin-on filter choices:
WIX # 51050, # 51051, # 51320,
CARQUEST # 85050, # 85051, # 85320,
BALDWIN #B50, #BT341, #B296, #B164
NAPA #1050, #1051, #1320,

So, now I'm gonna sit here and look them up and see if any of them are notably better than the others or if they are all basically the exact same filter but different manufactures. I think that before I start if all things are equal I would be best off keeping the largest filter just to have extra oil flowing around my circuit. With the B164 taking 1 3/4 quarts, and my 12 feet of hose seemingly taking a quart itself +, keeping to 14 quarts capacity for the whole system if all of the filters are the same thing would at least hold its benefit.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wix 51050 - 10 microns nominal, nothing else seems to be available even from them (suck)
Wix 51051 - 10 microns nominal, nothing else seems to be available even from them (suck) larger then above
Wix 51320 - 10 microns nominal, nothing else seems to be available even from them (suck) extremely small filter
Carquest (all three are the exact same as above, carquest's website is even worse)
B50: 2 microns nominal (50% efficiency, Beta2=2) and 12 microns absolute (98.7%, beta12 =75)
BT341: can't find anything outside of 15 micron absolute, some claims of similar to the B50 and B164 but it's tiny.
B164: Same as B50 filter just larger capacity.

I give up. Seems like they are all the exact same. I was hoping for that random filter that happened to be 7-8 microns absolute. Guess there aren't any that are gonna fit this base, but from reading as many threads as I have with this at this point, I don't know that there is really gonna be a large benefit from finding such a filter because while the specs may appear better if they don't list the efficiency and other relevant specs, it might not actually filter better at all they may just be inflating some of the numbers. Guess there's a reason I'm finding so may people using the B50's or B164's as I'm searching.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'know, there is another solution for bypass filtering: A centrifugal filter. http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1006dp-engine-oil-centrifuge-project-300/
Basically, oil pressure spins a small centrifuge which throws heavier particles to the outside, where they get held against the housing due to centrifugal force.
In theory, just about any particle should be filtered out, given enough time and the centrifuge being empty.
Kind of expensive up-front, but you don't need to keep buying filters.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive done a lot of digging as far as bypass oil filters go. When it comes thread on filters its hard to find any really super small micron rated filters.

Most of the filters you find are just pleated filters with a single layer of media. For that reason they generally don't have super small micron ratings. Most your filter manufacturers have come out with synthetic media that uses several layers. They get higher efficiency that way but I have yet to see any of them use it in a strictly bypass only type filter.

If I ever do a bypass filter on something else Id probably go with a fleetguard LF777.