F350 to f250

Sam7.3

Reaction score
I have a f250 parts truck and found another parts truck for very cheap and wanted to make one good one out of the 2 since one is a 5spd and I want a 5spd 7.3 idi. Both are 1992 4x4 7.3 idi trucks. The only problem I'm looking at is one is an f350 so it has a solid axle and ones an f250 so it has a TTB would I just be able to swap the k member or whatever it's called into the f350 to get my ttb to work in it? Sorry if my terminology isn't right hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

PS:the reason for doing the ttb swap is because the f350 doesn't come with a front axle

lude and rude

Reaction score
its not really easy... but if your patient and have good skills with welders, cutting metal and measuring things out you can do it. but i would say easier to find a front axle and bolt it in.

most people go the other way anyways and eliminate the ttb for a solid axle

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have the dana 60 front axle to use though.Apparently someone else robbed the thousand dollar unit already.
I thought the D60 swap was straight forward/basic bolt in place of the TTB? If so,then why should it make much difference if you go from D50 to D60 or D60 to D50?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just take the F-250 frame and running gear swap the cab? Or, if the F-250 cab's intact, just swap the engine, transmission and transfer case.

Sam7.3

Reaction score
F250 has wiring problems and no trans and the f350 just needs to be put together and has a 5spd. Figured it'd be easy to put the f350 together than to do a 5spd swap and rewire the whole thing

Sam7.3

Reaction score
If the ttb swap ends up being a lot of work what other axles could I swap in easily?

lude and rude

Reaction score
the stock d60 is easy... but you could find an axle from a dodge and get better turn radius but they are mucho dinero and would require some cutting and welding. i would just go back to the stock d60 to be honest. its easy and the parts are plentiful plus you wouldnt have to custom make anything. the ttb might not be terrible i looked under my parts pig last night and it doesnt look too bad. but you have to ask yourself why does everyone get rid of the TTB then? mine rides like hell compared to the f350

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you said the F350 has a solid axle, then you said it doesn't have a front axle at all. Which is it?

Which truck do you want to end up driving, and why?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
These replies are all so interestingly confusing to me lol.

Guys.He's trying to make two trucks out of one truck.The F350 is the overall better and easiest of the trucks to use as the platform (more complete and this is just a hunch; probably in better overall condition than f250,this info is speculation but it's kinda easy to conclude it to be so based on what has been posted)

The D60 front axle in the F350 truck he wants to put back on the road is missing.Someone likely put it another truck.It's gone.There is no free on hand D60 to put back into the truck.It grew wings and flew away into another project.This missing front axle probably helped him score a great deal on a 4wd F350.

Why would he pay out a grand for a front axle when he has a D50 in the (now) F250 parts truck?
I'm sure he knows the D60 is a better front axle to use but since he's asking if can just use his already D50,then obviously he doesn't want to,can't afford to or perhaps the trucks not even worth putting that kind of money into,even if he did want to.Whatever his reason,he just wants to use what he has on hand to make the truck.I would too.Iv never had an issue with the D50 in chip truck.Owned it since '09 and since put 100k on it.I will likely put another 100k on it issue free as well.Who knows.But this isn't the question anyway as to which would be better.

No one is answering his question.If a D60 is a relatively a bolt in place of a D50 then why wouldn't the D50 be a relatively bolt in place of the D60?
It's not a question if he should just go get another D60 lol.He knows he can do that if he could afford it or wanted to.

The reason I'm helping him reword this,is because I'm now just as curios as he is and I'm totally (as I'm sure he is as well) more confused than when he asked!:D

Last edited:

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These replies are all so interestingly confusing to me lol.

Guys.He's trying to make two trucks out of one truck.The F350 is the overall better and easiest of the trucks to use as the platform (more complete and this is just a hunch; probably in better overall condition than f250,this info is speculation but it's kinda easy to conclude it to be so based on what has been posted)

The D60 front axle in the F350 truck he wants to put back on the road is missing.Someone likely put it another truck.It's gone.There is no free on hand D60 to put back into the truck.It grew wings and flew away into another project.This missing front axle probably helped him score a great deal on a 4wd F350.

Why would he pay out a grand for a front axle when he has a D50 in the (now) F250 parts truck?
I'm sure he knows the D60 is a better front axle to use but since he's asking if can just use his already D50,then obviously he doesn't want to,can't afford to or perhaps the trucks not even worth putting that kind of money into,even if he did want to.Whatever his reason,he just wants to use what he has on hand to make the truck.I would too.Iv never had an issue with the D50 in chip truck.Owned it since '09 and since put 100k on it.I will likely put another 100k on it issue free as well.Who knows.But this isn't the question anyway as to which would be better.

No one is answering his question.If a D60 is a relatively a bolt in place of a D50 then why wouldn't the D50 be a relatively bolt in place of the D60?
It's not a question if he should just go get another D60 lol.He knows he can do that if he could afford it or wanted to.

The reason I'm helping him reword this,is because I'm now just as curios as he is and I'm totally (as I'm sure he is as well) more confused than when he asked!:D
Now you are confusing everyone (at least me);)
Reword the first part of your post to reflect what Sam7.3 is trying to do.
OP"...wanted to make one good one out of the 2..."
Let the confusion continue
:popcorn

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.Let's try this.Notice where he says this in post #1:

"The only problem I'm looking at is one is an f350 so it has a solid axle and ones an f250 so it has a TTB"

What he meant by that was this:

"The only problem I'm looking at is one is an f350 so it came from the factory with a solid axle (he latter states the D60 is gone.No longer in the truck.He doesn't own one nor wants to buy one either lol) and ones an f250 so it has a TTB"

Hope that helps.To summarize if you rather,it's this easy:

1.The best donor truck is an F350 with a missing front D60
2.An F250 4wd is on hand with a D50 TTB.
3.Can he use the D50 in the F250 parts truck,to bolt in the F350? If so,what is entailed to do so?

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still say you could do the whole thing with no welding - Frame swap the 250 frame under the 350.
Basically rip the 250 apart, then put the rolling frame under the 350's cab. You could even put the engine, transmission transfer case etc together with the cab off, then just drop the whole thing in place.

Remember, there isn't that much wiring outside of the cab/body - Just a bit of tail-light wiring and such. Do it right and you could basically just keep it all with the 350 cab and not have to mess with *too* much.

The hardest part would be disconnecting the bolts holding the cab in place and jacking it up. I'd probably get it loose, lift it enough to get a couple of 4x4s under it, then just build supports(saw horses?) on the 4 corners as you jack it up. Roll/slide the 350 frame out, swap drivetrain components, roll the 250 frame under it.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I'm not sure if it would be any more work than still having to swap the transmission/transfer case, along with all the cutting/welding/brackets needed on the 350 frame.