Experiences with the 6.0 PSD?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm thinking of letting go of my '94 F350CC IDI, and moving on to an 05 F350 XLT supercab, 4x4, 6.0 with 104,000 kms and a warranty to 160,000 kms, for $21,900 Cad. dlrs. Apparently it has tinted glass, keyless entry, K/N air intake system, Chip system, mudder tires plus original rims and tires. Oil sprayed every year.
Please chime in with opinions? It would be appreciated.

It seems odd that I found no postings in this forums at all... what's the reason? Too many problems? No problems at all?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
dank,

I have an 03 Excursion with a 6.0L and I love the truck. The engine has plenty of power. The 6.0L has/had a bad reputation due to some problems when they were first released. They are "turned up" pretty high from the factory so adding tuners or chips can shorten the life of the engine, and blow the head gaskets. Mine is 100% stock and I plan on keeping it that way. It does everything I ask of it, and I dont need to turn it up. It does not "roll coal" it will only puff a small haze every once in a while. I would see if you can get an OASIS report on the truck from a Ford Dealer. If it has a clean history under warrenty, it is probally a pretty good truck, if is has been a "problem child" I would look at what it was, and when. I may have been someting early and they got it fixed..... but if it has '"lived" in the shop........ I would look elsewhere.

If I had the opportunity, I would but another 6.0L powered truck.....

As for not seeing any posts, take a look at the display settings at the bottom part of the page, some older posts are there, they just don't show unless you ask to see them.

For more information on the 6.0L, I would visit our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com. They have more info on the newer trucks, and you may get a response faster over there. I normally ask questions in both places, since some members only look at one site or the other.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Scott,
I appreciate your reply. I am not keen on those power improvements either... neither about the mudder tires/rims he has on it. It seems to have been playing in the mud, which may have put a lot of tear and wear on the drive train in general. Having the warranty is a good thing, good insurance imo. I'll pursue the OASIS report avenue, that's a smart suggestion, I appreciate it. I guess I'll need the VIN number... is there usually a charge for it, and can anyone get it with the VIN or does it have to be the owner himself? I've never done it. In your reply: do you mean I should look for another 6.0 truck or YOU would still buy another 6.0 powered truck after having had one already?
In my 94 IDi I'm able to mix 50/50 veggie oil and save on fuel on long trips. Is that possible in the newer engines? I somehow don't think it is. Do you have any knowledge in that area?
Thanks very much,
Dan

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my 6.0, it runs nicely and has ample power in the stock form IMHO, my stock 6.0 runs as well as my mildly modded 7.3 did. The tuner on the 6 is just for fun.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my 94 IDi I'm able to mix 50/50 veggie oil and save on fuel on long trips. Is that possible in the newer engines? I somehow don't think it is. Do you have any knowledge in that area?
Thanks very much,
Dan
the newer injectors are very sensitive to fuel cocktails. and they are very expensive to replace.
in short....don't do it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If I had the opportunity, I would but another 6.0L powered truck.....

In your reply: do you mean I should look for another 6.0 truck or YOU would still buy another 6.0 powered truck after having had one already?

I am sorry that I was not clear on this, I meant that I would purchase another 6.0 after already owning one. I love mine... and if I could have afforded it, there was an 05 Ex 6.0L 4x4 for sale at the same place I bought mine, it would have be in the garage keeping the one I have company!!!!

As for any WMO/WVO, DO NOT RUN IT!!!! The EGR Valves have a habit of carboning up on just good ole #2 and the HUEI injectors are sensitive to non diesel (They don't like air either) as Calvin said. The main thing I have done that keeps a 6.0 happy is to DRIVE IT!!! IF it sits for long periods of time the VGT Turbo Veins will stick due to rust, they can be cleaned, but you have to pull the turbo, and open up the hot side and clean the housing..... DO not let it idle for long periods of time...... again the EGR..... and if I do let mine sit an idle for a little while.... I accelerater hard a couple of times, whne the engine is at normal operating temp, to make the EGR and Turbo Veins move and knock anything loose. I will "drive it like I stole it" every once in a while to help clean everything out.

I would not be scared of a 6.0, just read up on them and do the things to help keep from having problems.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the egr issues have really gone down since ULSD was put on the market.
I love mine,
I would look for one that did not have a chip, and had the wheels and tires you could live with,
I see chip, and big mudder tires, and think ran too hard.
Mine has all I need, then some.

timntrucks

Reaction score
can you enlighten me on ulsd. im having some water egr problems and i am thinking about doing the close off of the egr. its around 100.00 while the upgraded kit is 500.00 any info would help me make up my mind

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you enlighten me on ulsd. im having some water egr problems and i am thinking about doing the close off of the egr. its around 100.00 while the upgraded kit is 500.00 any info would help me make up my mind

ULSD is a highly refined fuel that has had most of the soot producing compounds removed from it. How this relates to the EGR is that the soot buildup inside the EGR cooler and valve is not nearly as bad as it was before ULSD arrived (2007). The buildup in the EGR system would cause restriction in the EGR cooler and eventually it would spring a leak into the intake manifold. Now you had liquid (engine coolant) entering the cylinders and wreaking havoc on headgaskets or worse.

Since the 6.0 was on it's way out when ULSD was being introduced any unreliability of the EGR system was never realized until recently.

It's been said the 6.0 EGR was designed in Europe where they had already been using a form of ULSD for years. Engineers were caught off guard by the sootiness of North American diesel fuel and as such were not designing it to survive in the market it was sold in.

So as the fuel got better EGR failures have decreased.

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Have had two 6.0 Ex's and never had an egr issues (that I know of :) )
Since neither have left me on the side of the road, I guess I wouldn't know :)

And both my 03 and 05 Ex's have been tuned all their lives and no issues...

My advice would be to research it just like you would ANY used car....
the owner and maintenance has more to do with the condition than anything else !

I too would be hesitant about a 'mudder' --
oasis, carfax, etc... are a good resources, but not everything is entered in either.... just take your time and look at it and drive it... get underneath and study it :)

Mud has a way of hiding in ALL kinds of places :)

Last edited:

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an 04 6.0L and love it, it has been a great truck and I have never had to have any work done to the engine and mine has had a Edge Juice with Attitude programmer on it since a week after I bought it and it is almost always stays on stage 3, I put it on stage 4 and rarely 5 if I am playing but it never has problems. I will agree with the above post though if you leave it sit for a while and then hop in it with a trailer hooked to it, the first big hill you have to take off on with the load you are going to realize that the turbo veins are stuck, when mine does it, it is typically from 4th to OD and it will just roar and smoke instead of whistle , so I know I have to shift back down to 4th and floor it really good for a second to cook all the crap out and then it is good to go again. Mine has done it maybe 3 or 4 times tops, but it was only after sitting for a few weeks at a time.
As much as I hate to, I might be getting ride of my truck soon, we have to get something cheaper on fuel for the wife to drive back and forth to work. Her Envoy is drinking the gas and she can't drive my truck because the 6 speed. Our other vehicles are paid off and we can't really afford another payment so it looks like we will have to trade my truck off because it is the only thing we are still making payments on.

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04' 6.0 and i have not had a problem with it what so ever. It has never been in the shop for anything to do with the motor. I know the one you are looking at is still under warranty but mine just ran out and as soon as it did it got head studs and the EGR system went MIA. Mileage went up a bit and i think it is a more reliable platform now.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Loved my '06 6.0 F350. The only reason I traded it was due to to rising fuel/oil prices and dwindling paychecks.

Found a tutorial somewhere on pulling the EGR out and cleaning it, which I made part of the maintenance and every now and then drove it like I stole it just to clean it out. Never really had a problem and would pull pull pull.

John

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are head studs also an issue with the 6.0?
Dan

Yes they can be, but the answer isnt as simple as that. There have been issues with gaskets on both stock and modded engines. Some stockers couldnt keep gaskets in and some modded ones have never blown a gasket. I installed ARP's in mine and it is modded.