exhaust leak, new turbo install

SKimballC

Reaction score
I got the wastegated ATS on last night but there's some issues. One is that there is a wicked exhaust leak between the y-pipe and the up-pipe. Its pretty loose when those two are shoved together, but everything's mounted in the only positions they can sit in. I can see about an eighth inch spot on one side of that union where the pipes could slip together more. Is there any suitable sealant that can be used on the exhaust?
I also may have a leak at the pass.side manifold since the gasket cracked when I pulled the manifold getting the other turbo off but put it back on for now because I had to til I pick up a new one.
The exhaust leaks are loud, and I am seeing no boost on the gauge, and couldn't hear the turbo if it was spooling up due to the volume of the exhaust leaks. Its possible I pulled the boost line loose yanking too hard trying to get it to reach its new location but I don't think so.
Turbo's spinning freely.
I also need to pick up a new valve cover gasket for the driver's side. I used the old one when I swapped covers and its stretched out and not sealing at the back. Of course it had to start raining. Maybe I can pull it in the barn out where I am doing some work so I can get the gaskets swapped.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo

Shane,
If your leak is before the turbo You would loose boost.
On my non wastegate there is a bracket that holds the down pipe up in the housing,Mine is slotted to slide it up tight.
I also had leaks on the exhaust manafolds were the crossover pipe and the y meets the manafold.
I cleaned them good and put a thin coat of muffler cement on the flanges the put it back together letting it sit to dry before starting.
It has worked well for me.
I would say use it sparingly,If some would dry and break off and go throught the turbo I dont know if It would do any damage.
Good Luck
John

RedTruck

Reaction score
Shane,

Seems to me I remember reading a thread some time ago about that joint always being a loose one. If I recall correctly that person brought the exhaust tubes to a muffler shop and had them flanged out to make a more solid fit. They said that cleared it up no problems.

This is all from memory...3rd person experience mind you. You may want to do some searching for that post and ask that person.

Paul

SKimballC

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That middle joint between the y and the up is blowing a ton of exhaust out. I picked up some stuff at NAPA and fiddled with it in the barn but too much general insanity is going on today to have gotten it fixed. I did find that by pushing the y-pipe all the way into the up-pipe made the crossover pipe unable to seal completely and creating another exhaust leak, so I am going to pull the junk tonight again, put the new gasket on that exhaust manifold, and reassmble with a very modest amount of muffler putty and let it sit up overnight. After messing with it earlier I was able to get the boost gauge to twitch a little and was able to find all the exhaust leaks so at least now that I have the stuff I need I can work it out.
Paul, hmm, I'd like to find that. Dunno 'bout flanging a cast iron piece. Maybe if someone who could weld cast could beef up that outer lip of the y-pipe some. I do know a couple welders, one out at the spread I'm currently working on.

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
Shane,

Yep, the thread I'm thinking about was an exhaust pipe that was re-flanged to seal it up. That would not help in your situation.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Paul

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online