Engine swap

AmigaDave

Reaction score
Hi Guys (and Gals, if there are any reading these forums),

I bought a 1988 Ford F250 XLT Lariat 2WD about a month ago, as I needed some form of transportation, because my only running vehicle had died with electrical problems, that I could not immediately fix, or pay to have fixed. I wanted a truck anyway, so the decision to buy something was only sped up a bit by the death of my daily driver. There are many advantages to diesel engine trucks, that I am sure you are all aware of, so I won't waste text describing why I chose my 7.3 idi powered F250, but now that I have it, I am thinking that I would much rather have a different year Ford (also would consider putting the 7.3 idi into a Chevy, GMC, or Dodge) pickup, and that I would also like to have 4x4, so instead of converting my current truck (which is ugly as hell and generally beat up and worn out, after over 328,000 miles), I would like to remove the well running 7.3 idi engine, and place it into a different (better looking, and 4x4) truck.

I like some of the older Ford truck body styles much better than my current beat up "Brick" nose model (I think that is what it is called). So my question is this; what transmissions and trucks will my 7.3 idi bolt into, with minimal problems. I want a 4x4 with a 2 speed transfer case / Hi-Low range 4x4, and I don't care if it is a manual or auto transmission. I might go for a lifted truck, with big tires and wheels. After I get my daily driver fixed, this project truck won't be driven a lot of miles, and will mostly be used for fun, off-roading, and for pulling my 24-foot trailer. I love my 7.3 idi diesel engine, because of its simplicity and lack of electronic crap. Less parts to go wrong, easier to work on, plenty of power for my needs.

Thanks in advance for all of your informative suggestions and advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online

No members online now.