eBay intercooler worth it?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some full universal kits on eBay but is the price too good to be true? 200 dollars for a kit that includes a 31-12-3 intercooler and a bunch of piping anyone run any of these? I thought maybe buying one and using it as a base to run and buy a better cooler later on

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search Ic threads here' that will dial ya in

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine works great. No need for a better one later. If you feel my Charge pipes, inlet side will be too hot to touch and the outlet side of the cooler will actually be cool to the touch....

Search, there is a thread on intercooling the banks sidewinder system that details the install. It could be adapted to any turbo kit.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1000 CFM 100 dollar innercooler from speeddaddy on e-bay
it works great!
like cpdenton, I have the same results on my charge pipes.

personally I don't like the charge pipe kits. many boots makes for a system that has lots of points where it could leak.
I made my own pipes out of stainless and only 4 connection points.
well worth it.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't mean to hijack the thread but, I have a new cat intercooler from an unknown piece of machinery and noticed the horizontal tubes that the air passes through are much thinner then most coolers I have seen. its a similar height and with as a SD 7.3 cooler. would this make a difference? is there a way to figure the CFM of an intercooler?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the only way I know to do it is measure it. Typically pressure drop is measured at a given flow. When you get more than a psi or so drop, time to go bigger.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish eBay had a intake hat I feel like a lot of people would buy them if one were to be made I'm gonna have to find something or have a shop weld something for me out of my current ats hat really the only thing stopping me from buying a intercooler right now

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PLEASE don hack up your ats hat.
Im almost to the point of trading a few for Intercooler hats, which I do make. And no I dont have pics of the new one yet.

And pelky, you are close enough to be a guinea pig.
::))

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trading what for intercooler hats? And yes I'm in Eugene/Springfield your shops up by Portland isn't it? How much are the hats your making? Special price for testing and review of it?? Lol

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the only way I know to do it is measure it. Typically pressure drop is measured at a given flow. When you get more than a psi or so drop, time to go bigger.

Good advice. Intercoolers are sized by pressure drop, and you can actually oversize one depending on how much available air flow you have. It's not a big deal of you have a new truck capable of 40ish PSI, but when you are down in the 10-12 psi range, you definitely don't want too much intercooler as it can actually hurt performance.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering about the size I should be getting my non gated ats probably can't support a extremely large cooler I'm running almost 20psi right now so I can loose a few psi and it wouldn't bother me I know I'm pushing the motors limits when I boost that high

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im almost to the point of trading a few for Intercooler hats, which I do make. And no I dont have pics of the new one yet.

How do I go about contacting you about the intercooler hat? We live like an hour away from each other I believe so it wouldn't be to put of the way to drive to your shop

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What is this I hear about trading ATS hats? lol I'm in the same boat as pelky. Was going to have to modify my ats hat to run my intercooler set up.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to learn how to contact him so I can buy a intake hat for my truck, r and d idi performance sales a whole intake that uses a 3 inch outlet and in a perfect world I would buy it but I feel like just changing hats is a little easier and he lives in Oregon as well and some less work