E40D Shift Problems when Cold

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 92 F-250 is having difficulty shifting from second to third when it's cold (-15C and below).

It does shift normally most of the time when it's warmer but shifts are often very sharp (not gentle). Tranny was rebuilt last year with a HD shift kit so I expect the shifts to be crisp but not violent.

Replaced the Tach Sensor and Throttle Position Sensor.

Checked the TPS voltage at idle and wide open and it ranges from 1.2 to 4.2 so not exactly in spec but close. Ran great for a few days then got really crappy when it got cold out.

Could I be losing voltage because of the cold temperatures? How would I correct that issue?

Could the VSS be an issue?

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
My 92 F-250 is having difficulty shifting from second to third when it's cold (-15C and below).

It does shift normally most of the time when it's warmer but shifts are often very sharp (not gentle). Tranny was rebuilt last year with a HD shift kit so I expect the shifts to be crisp but not violent.

Replaced the Tach Sensor and Throttle Position Sensor.

Checked the TPS voltage at idle and wide open and it ranges from 1.2 to 4.2 so not exactly in spec but close. Ran great for a few days then got really crappy when it got cold out.

Could I be losing voltage because of the cold temperatures? How would I correct that issue?

Could the VSS be an issue?

Definitely check out the VSS, use some cleaner and blow it out. It's on the center of the rear axle towards the front, If its dirty or going bad can cause hard shifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online