Driveshaft conundrum

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the 750-850. Is that both front and rear shafts all brand new with U-joints, hanger bearing, front shaft Double cardon etc? If so that actually sounds pretty good.

I had a shaft for my 49 international built brand new. Two Yokes, tube and two joints. They reused the transmission slip yoke. It was $250. Last time I had my truck shafts done was $180. That was retubing the front shaft with new tube, And adjusting the length of the first shaft in the rear.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the 750-850. Is that both front and rear shafts all brand new with U-joints, hanger bearing, front shaft Double cardon etc? If so that actually sounds pretty good.

I had this guy make a new front shaft for my F250 (has a Dana 60). Just gave him my info (make, model, axle, installed shaft length ....) and had a new shaft with new dana ujoints. Fits like a glove and was dang cheap compared to a local shop.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. that was just the rear drive shaft with new joints and bearing.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I had one built for my f100. All new tube and balance. They installed one new u joint. The double carden was good. I supplied the yolks and slip joint. Cost 380 bucks from local shop. They tube is the expensive part. Always cheaper to get one cut down shorter, if you can find a longer one with correct yolks

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn this guy has some good pricing

I had this guy make a new front shaft for my F250 (has a Dana 60). Just gave him my info (make, model, axle, installed shaft length ....) and had a new shaft with new dana ujoints. Fits like a glove and was dang cheap compared to a local shop.

Heath

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I know you're nowhere near my neck of the woods, but there's a local shop here that completely rebuilt both of my driveshafts when I did my ZF swap for around $300. That's new u-joints, carrier bearing, shortening the front shaft, and re-tubing/ lengthening the upper section of the rear shaft. I didn't have to do anything but bring him the shafts and some measurements.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two estimates of $750-850 for all new. [emoji15]

Think I'll be finding someone local and just fix the bad pieces. I'm supposed to try to get it over to a shop this week to have them look at it and give me a price to fix what needs fixed. If it's too much I'll suck it up and go new.
Thats a really good screwing. Where do you live?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things are looking up.

Picked up a drive shaft tonight.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was in a e4od truck I think. But it's not stock. It was made by a shop from the look of it. It's been balanced. It's super clean (except the mud).

It is so close that I'm not even sure it's a different length. The front shaft may be 1/4" longer. The slip joint in the middle is a little shorter so the rear tube section is a little longer. It's so close I'm gonna bolt it in and look it over. Fingers crossed it will bolt up and has enough travel everywhere. We can say it was significantly less that $700 even if it has to be trimmed.