drive shaft spins, truck doesnt move, sometimes IDeas?

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i went to pick up my tool box from my brothers so i could start my new job today, i turned into his complex and and heard a thunk and a grind. Antilock and rear abs lights came on, thought i might have broke a brake shoe spring and it was in the drum spinnning around thunking. Since i started a new job today i couldnt just borrow a car i needed my truck. so i drove it easy.

I went on lunch, and i was on a hill and it thunked, wouldnt go forward but the drive shaft was spinning it would catch and go and on the way home it fell out again and barely caught and i got it home.

I pulled the diff cover expecting to see carnage. but no it was fine, all the gears had teeth it seemed, and obviously the axle isnt broken. but i figure the splines are chewed off my axle shaft and its bouncing and barely catching, or maybe my axle bearing is shot and its allowing the axle shaft to bounce around.

I need some ideas, i cant do much at my apt complex but i got a buddy with a shop if not i haft to have it put in a shop for the first time in my life...

Oh yea when i pulled the diff cover the oil was foamy but no chunks of metal im lost other than my ideas

If it is the splines obviously id haft to replace the axle shaft but what piece does it slide into, the spider gear? and if so does that mean a full differential rebuild to?

If it was a broken axle shaft it wouldnt move at all, but if the teath where broken off it would explain the skipping then grabbing...

Ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
One thing to check before you rip the diff apart, the pinion, early 10.25 rears had a habit of the nut loosening itself... Or so I've been told.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a guess it's 4WD. Sounds like the transfer case is almost dead. I thought I blew up my trans, turns out I grenaded the transfer case.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Was thinking the pinion/yoke issue myself. I've not had it happen, but several have. It loosens, then seems to strip the yoke. I have some parts if you are dealing with a 10.25 (it's an open carrier) if that helps when you determine what is up.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a guess it's 4WD. Sounds like the transfer case is almost dead. I thought I blew up my trans, turns out I grenaded the transfer case.

the drive shaft would not be spinning if the t-case packed it in

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like either the yoke come loose or a busted axle, if you didn't pull the axle shafts out, you can't rule them out. If the splines are well seated in teh spiders the wheel will still turn with the rear end off teh ground, but if theres a small fracture, it can spin under load and you may not be able to tell without pulling the shafts

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i was wrong the guy i had tell the dshaft was spinning he either didnt know what i was talking about or lied.

So i had the gf get in and put it in d until it made the noise. seems to becoming from the tail housing of the trans, couldi haft broke the output shaft in a wway that it could reconnect and move the truck? or maybe in my slip yoke and sheared splines?

its my only vehicle and i hate being with out

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drive shaft would not be spinning if the t-case packed it in

Actually the way mine blew I could still drive the truck, but when coasting the noise would reveal itself. Then it finally totally blew and won't move at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online