Don't get mad at me got suspension question

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I was looking at a F-350 4x4 dually flatdeck last night it wasn't forsale but I noticed its suspension was the same as all the F-350s I have looked at. What I mean is just with a regular 11-12' flatdeck the truck is already riding on the overload springs.

I haven't found a truck yet but I want to know how can I modify the rear suspension so the rear springs have more of a arc get the overload springs from touching the frame stops.

Now that I won't be using the truck as my only income it will be more for a work truck carrying tools maybe a tool box and a slip tank (diesel). It will eventually get a dump added to it for my use and the odd hauling jobs I do plus being a service truck carrying backhoe buckets or other machine attachments. I don't need a suspension that will carry 4 ton loads but I don't want a suspension that is already squating with just a flatdeck.

The springs in all the 350s I looked at are almost flat and when you put a load on them the truck squats. How would I fix the problem and not jack the *** end of the truck up.

My old 80 F-350 used to ride on the overloads all the time it wore the tips of the springs real thin and the stops were well worn. The truck rode rougher than my current F-Superduties beleive it or not.

I'am still trying to decide do I keep searching for a F-350 4x4 and get reamed on the purchase price because they are so rare or buy another F-Superduty strip the axles out and make a 4x4 out of the chassis.

I know I was flipping back and forth when I was on the TDS but now that I'am back to being a mechanic/gopher etc a F-450 isn't needed. A 1 ton dually truck is still needed and I should have 4wheeldrive now no more wondering if its worth it.

Just looking for ideas I still can find F-Superduty trucks cheaper and good candidates for a conversion. I can find 2wd F-350s that could be converted too.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Go with a set of airbag overloads. Load the truck and air up the bags untill the rig sits level. Cheaper than fartin' around with other mods and they work real well. My dad used them on his '94 F-250 with a dually rearend towing the 15K pound fiver. I can't remember if he kept them to put on his '02 PSD F-350 or not.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I was thinking of maybe using timbrens over bags I have seen air bags tweak the frame hump over the axle pretty bad. I was also thinking of just installing a single leaf overload to keep them from riding the stops and cut back on the overload slap.

One of the stone masons that works in this area blew a bag on his 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 with a load it scared the living **** out of him.

I was wondering if having the rear springs arc'ed more would it be worth it.

I was looking at a Chevy 3500 4x4 flatdeck :eek: it was around a 96 and the rear suspension was worse than a Ford the main pack was darn near flat and it was really riding on the overloads.

Like I meantioned already my F-Superduties ride smoother than my F-350s ever and I think its because the springs have some movement they are not constantly loaded.

I have been thinking about a regular P/U too but its still a tad light and a 8' box isn't long enough. A truck with a 11' deck would be about right a 10' deck is a tad short for a 161 (84 ca) truck.