do you take your IDI on long trips?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After countless pre-trip issues popping up, the Sulaco(see sig line) is finally on the road to my address in TX. So far, on this drive, I noticed there are very few pre-1999 trucks on the road Ford, GM or Dodge. I did get excited when I spotted a blue SC OBS 4x4.....but it was on a trailer :(
Out west, crossing state lines is no small matter, the east coast is a whole other animal. Your states are the size of our "counties".
So....out of curiousity, how many of you use your IDI on long distance/cross country runs?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine makes an annual 500 mile round trip with a pair of canoes on the rack. That's the furthest I've driven anything in the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well ain't a idi, but I used to take my 94 psd on longer trips all the time. That was before the baby though. Lol
Down in El paso, I actually saw many older trucks. Even idi's. Probably seen more GM idi's there than I've seen anywhere else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jdb

Reaction score
We take our 92 IDI on a 2000 km road trip every year.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is a towpig, so I have to drive 1/2 a day just to get away from the effin grapes.
So yes....the coast is a good hour out for our short trips.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too many long trips, because we have two little ones, but I have done a 500 mile round trip in it, stayed in California the whole time[emoji1]. On the other hand it is my daily driver and it is not unusual to put a 100 miles on it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
In the last 6 years its made its voyage from Oregon to Texas and then back. Return trip it had been parked for two years, new radiator and fluids, then hauled a 6000lb trailer back with wastegate unplugged.

On the way down I had a leaking return line cap, which had to be replaced along with orings (in California). Return trip I had mistakenly pulled the plunger (before leaving) on the ancient POS 83-86 water separator that is known to leak, which caused a massive air intrusion problem. So bad in fact, that going up hills it would buck and die. Ended up parking at a hotel and taking the other car to home depot to get some hose fittings to cut and bypass the water separator (for the entire trip!)

I would take it again in a heartbeat.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't do too many road trips, my longest road trip is usually ~500 miles round trip, but the only time I don't take my F250 is when I have more than one passenger. I don't want to torture anyone by making them ride in the back of an extended cab.

I wish I had more excuses to go on road trips, half the fun for me is just driving my truck. :D

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not afraid to take the 84.
A few years ago went out the the pacific coast 1020 miles one way, with two little ones. Oldest wanted to ride at some bike paths near his uncles in Snoqualmie WA so we took the pickup. Took 3 days there and two back.
Taken camping trips in glacier, yellowstone, and little belts.
A couple years ago 760 mile round day trip to pick up a boat
A few trips for sons hockey, closest one was 150 away farthest 380.
Two weeks ago an 800 mile round day trip in MT to grab a motorcycle.
I either have to install some sound deadner or learn to start driving at only 70 mph.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Mine is used to pull my race car to tracks all over the country. Usually with four people inside.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took mine on a 1700 mile round trip to Seattle last year. Don't take to many long trips, but I would leave in a heartbeat (got most of the bugs out and it is my DD)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50k miles in 4 years. I live in socal and it's been up to bodie,ca. Vegas, oatman,az,grand Canyon etc...it's my drive it anywhere truck.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i couldn't imagine spending the kind of money in fuel it would cost.way too cheap for that here.if she ain't working,she ain't moving.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I enjoy my rig enough to drive it anywhere anytime. Its nice to drive something where you are "up there" where you ca see whats happening ahead. the Accord gets twice the fuel mileage but you are way dow there in the danger zone.