Differences between 1st and 2nd generation cummins

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I know that the older cummins has the rotaty injection pump and the newer ones have the p7100. What else is different with the engines? Can an older engine be fitted with a newer IP?

I have noticed that the older engines are cheaper than the 94-98.I am wondering if this is due to the age, or the IP, or something else.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my own opinion, the first gen. is a much more durable set-up than the second gen.

One reason for the increased demand of the second gen. is the higher horse-power capabilities that the redneck pulling/racing crowd are after.

Around here, they will destroy two or three every weekend at the drags or pulls; but then the next weekend, they will let Jack Daniels, or Jim Beam drive, and total out another nearly new truck so that the wrecking yards still have a few engines around.

The trouble with this is that the later model engines have all that un-desirable electronic/computer/communist crap on them that intelligent people have no use for.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I may not have said it right. I want to compare the pre '94 to the 1994-98 cummins. I assume that the higher HP capabilities is still the reason for the higher prices, but what is the difference between them.

I have been to that website, and I want to get a 92-97 f350 dually 4x4 regular cab, with a manual tranny and a cummins, with a flatebd on it. These trucks do not exist. I need 4x4, get stuck every month or two, and want a shorter wheelbase. This would be a very utilitarian work truck, with vinyl seat and rubber floor, so that I do not tear up my cc, like I have been.

I found a guy on this site that has a lot of the parts for the conversion, but I am not sure I want this engine, possibly the 1994.5-98 12v instead. What do you guys think?

rubberfish

Reaction score
The biggest difference is:

89-93 VE Pump $1718.75cdn new

P7100-913 Fuel Pump $3993.75cdn new

This is why the gen 2 is more money to buy second hand.
I found a guy on this site that has a lot of the parts for the conversion
Which site? OB or?????

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I missed the last part of your question. Yes, OB. He's on the marketplace forum, about fifth from the top right now. Looks like a good deal for what he has, but I want a zf6, and the newer pump - maybe.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they have more hp/tq, are easier to mod, turbo's spool faster, are ALL intercooled and are just plain better imo. and, they are just as easy to work on as the 1st gen cummins.

moparmike91

Moparmike91
Reaction score
in order to upgrade your 1st gen to the 7100 series pump,,ive done this conversion,,u need gear cover,,fuel lines and all linkages and plunbing and cable exx exc,,its a timely and expensive swap,,just wanted to let ya know before ya started,,but the results are amazing,,and yes u should upgrade turbo and intercooler system as well,,the 2nd gens are getting bought up like crazy,,cause they make amzing cheap upgraded horse power

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online