Delphi Glow Plugs???

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No, this is not an "Is it OK to use this brand glow plug" question......

Has anyone heard/seen Delphi brand glow plugs?

Reason I ask, my Son's 92 (see sig) which got driven very little by the PO, then bought by my Son, and gets driven daily (but only 10 - 15 miles), got pressed into my 60 mile a day commuter vehicle. Had an issue with all the other vehicles, including a spit plug on the 2000 P71. (I have a recommendation on a kit if anyone finds the need for one... 2 valve 4.6 mod engine)

As the week wore on, and the temperatures here in the Midwest began to drop, the WTS light would get shorter and shorter...... Friday, after 11 hours sitting in the 30 degree F parking garage.... it almost wouldn't start. (Like 30.5 seconds on the starter......) I didn't have any Crack in the truck, which had been remedied...(yes I know about Crack, and how to use it)....... Got it fired up, it was PO'ed but we got home.

When my Son brought the truck home, and it was sitting in the garage while we fixed the brake lines, he was rummaging through the cab, opened the ash tray, and pulled something out and said "What are these".. Glow Plugs I replied..... and also had the "Oh, S**T" thought........ I didn't look at them closely, just told him to put them back and remember they were there......

So this evening, it's turn came in line, behind a starter, and fixing the plug...... among a few other things. I climbed "up top" on my Topside Creeper (which was a 2015 Christmas present, but just now used it, which I a good thing, since nothing was broke in the last year that I needed to get on top of to use, they are worth the price!!!!! I started on the passenger bank, pull a connector, test light...... damn..... pull plug, it's a Delphi.... and nice shiny, clean Delphi, except the darkened "business end". I had ohm'ed out the plugs in the ash tray, and found the 6 BERU plugs were good. They were ~0.5 ohms. Popped a Beru back in the head (which is so much fun when you have huge fingers and hands). Test light again, and lo and behold, I have a light. 1 and 5 were bad, and replaced with 2 Beru, the 2 that lit, stayed put.... but 99.95 sure they are Delphi. We switched places, and found 2 and 6 bad.... replaced with a used Beru. Made sure everything was buttoned uo, (engine had only ran for maybe 60 seconds before it was put in the garage) turned the key to run, and we got are nice ~10 second glow, and started right up.......

I've heard of all the other brands for Plugs, but not heard of the Delphi...... one good thing, the just died, no perceivable swelling...... So, there will be a set of Beru ZD-9's installed in the near future, and the Beru's we have, put back in the ash tray for a rainy (well I guess cold) day.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of Delphi glow plugs. Same people who brought you Delphi injectors, another second rate product. Stay away from them.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I had Delphi in my truck when I bought them.

They burned out fast, but thankfully didn't swell.

All Beru ZD-9s now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like the ones that tested good Sunday, are dying fast. Starting to get short WTS and extended cranking...

Going to order some ZD-9's......

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always told to mix and match brands so you always have a few good ones if the others crap out.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's where we are now. There are 4 Beru and 4 Delphi in there...... Still won't start on 4. When it was all Delphi 4 were bad and the WTS light would come on just long enough to see it. We changed out the 4 Delphi that tested bad, for 4 used good Beru. It worked for maybe a dozen starts, now it's back to short cycling. My guess is the other 4 Delphi have failed. I think I will risk just using 1 brand.....

Worse case, at this point, we pull the connector off the fender relay, and grab a can....... I would rather start a few times on ether with the failed plugs plugging the holes than get what I can off the shelf locally (Champion or Autolite) and have one of those POS's swell in there........

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am probably going to order one from DB Electric. I know there are a couple different choices. I know there is one that is less than $70.... and a couple that are more. But I am going to have one on the shelf, since that starter is on borrowed time... It's been leaned on hard a couple of times.

I've been using DB, hard to justify local parts store prices, unless it means I have to walk.....

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always told to mix and match brands so you always have a few good ones if the others crap out.

This does not seem like good advice to me. The glow plug controller senses resistance in the glow plug circuit as a whole. Mixing brands increases the likelyhood of different resistances among glowplugs which will lead to premature failure in whichever one has greatest resistance. I have never even had luck mixing new and old. When I mix brands I have never had anything but a short term solution.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump shop I use sells Delphi. Says they have no issues. I don't believe them.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
FYI my experience with DB has not been good. Never got a starter to last longer than a year with proven good batteries, cables and alternator, no drama, no extended cranks or anything. Just daily driving.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure which starter I have but I know I have like 2 or 3 autolites stuck in my heads still other 5 are motorcraft plugs, one day I'll do the heads and remove the plugs but for now they are there hopefully they don't break off I didn't try to hard to get them out but sweeking and hard to turn out of there made me decide to wait until I have a back up vehicle in case they break off. My starter has lasted 5 years of extended cranking times and bad batteries, wires and all that. Has since been fixed but it delt with many things in its life

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online