Dead batteries again

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Similar to the old "don't put batteries on concrete thing."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
My dad has told me this all my life. I never understood it. The only possibility I can think of is the old plastic battery housings were not as Impervious to the electrolyte so the case made sort of a salt bridge to slowly discharge them. Dunno if that is at all right but as a chemist, I can't really come up with any other plausible reason.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has told me this all my life. I never understood it. The only possibility I can think of is the old plastic battery housings were not as Impervious to the electrolyte so the case made sort of a salt bridge to slowly discharge them. Dunno if that is at all right but as a chemist, I can't really come up with any other plausible reason.

Us old old ******** as were sometimes called, knew about the older batteries that had rubber cases. In order to make them, CARBON Black was used, CARBON is somewhat of a conductor. Got it? Modern day batteries since the use of Plastic for just about everything eliminated that problem.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Only thing I could come up with is maybe the concrete will draw out the liquid.
This is the most plausible. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AFQjCNHH-Gb4-OPpNdHvdQ11tU3MALVfUg&sig2=h-m8A
Definitely not something we have to worry about anymore.

Do you guys run em dead then charge them right back up?

Or find them dead after a time then get em charged back up
Also go walking through a military motorpool. Many are dead and don't get charged up for some time. But jump it off and it'll be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Science for the win!

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp

I for one wish the younger generation would listen a little more to you "old ********". People who don't know history are bound to repeat it. Nuggets like this get passed down without actually understanding. If we actually studied and paid attention to history, we wouldn't do a lot of the stupid things we do.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as charging up dead batteries... it also heavily depends on the charger. If you use an old 10a box charger and don't monitor it.. you'll destroy the batteries.

I've had a battery flat dead for months and picked it right back up with my 2a-4a-8a battery minder smart charger and is still in use. The battery was 2 years old when it was ran dead and left dead.

I also have a XS Power D3100 in my Tahoe... battery is pushing 7 years old. It gets topped up every day during the winter as I have a 2 amp battery minder smart charger tied into my block heater... anytime it's plugged up, the battery gets topped off. I plan to get a few more years out of it for sure as it still cranks the Cummins like the day it was bought... and it's a single battery in the truck using a 6.0 powerstroke starter.

I run group 31s in the F350.. when it's cold out, I top them off once a week or 2. If the truck sits for any length of time, I leave the smart charger on it.

Maintenance is EVERYTHING when it comes to battery life.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying new batteries today! Going with group 65 stock size I think, though the 950cca group 31 is cheaper.. it says farm and commercial hd maybe cause it's a really common battery it's cheaper? A 850cca 65 runs 169$, 950cca 31 runs 125$. Not buying most expensive batteries out there they are advanced auto house brand but not the cheapest by any means they have a econo battery that runs 69$ group 65 lol the 65's I was looking at are "gold" standard one step down from "platinum" whatever that means I guess. Not needing the best batteries out there just need something that's not dead every other night without charging. Current ones in truck are "refurbished" aka rubbish I bought to get truck mobile in a pinch a couple years ago. Alternator, regulator and no parasitic draw known. seems to check out batteries are boiling over and one cell in each looks brown and not like the rest so assuming dead cells but two years for 100$ pair of batteries is reasonable. Any last minute dos and don'ts before I get the group 65??

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been doing fine with Walmart's everstart for a little over a year now. They're made by Johnson Controls or at least used to.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
group 31's have screws that arnt made out of lead.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well I bought to 1000cca batteries! 3 year warrantee and turns over wayyyy faster now lol new terminals as well I don't feel like playing with charging system anymore lol