Dead batteries again

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I don't use a maintainer batteries die after a couple days, I drive to work and back a total of 10 miles a day is this not enough to keep them charged? Recent"refreshed" batteries, new volt regulator, cleaned cables/connections. Alternator charged at 14ish driving. I have another alternator I'm going to put on tomorrow and see I this one maybe just kinda old and sucks. Bent tight and good also. Not much of a draw when did amp draw test still was "in spec"

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you leave the truck a few days with the battery cables disconnected, do both batteries still have good voltage? Will they start the truck? For the mileage concern, my truck gets less than 5 miles daily (to work and back, with 3 minutes @ high idle to warm up in the morning) and I've never had issues keeping the batteries charged.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a daily driver i wouldn't be able to leave them disconnected, I saw a pair of group 31 batteries that were"new and tested" for only 100 bucks I though about getting but I'm not sure how much work it is to make them fit. I'm kinda thinking I may have killed these batteries too many times and they just done want to hold charge anymore

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^

Multi-meter with 10a rating... unhook the ground... set it up for amps... reconnect the battery by touching the ground post of the battery to the negative lead of the multi-meter... touch the positive lead to the negative battery cable. Amperage draw should be well under 1. Start pulling fuses until the amperage draw drops. What ever that fuse is powering is the issue.

I had this happen to my toyota supra once... ended up being the rear window defroster had shorted out.

I would start by unhooking the alternator while doing this test as the alternator can short and put a draw on the system... yet still charge fine while running.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch your alternator after the truck has set and make sure it's cold.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Imo if a battery gets ran clear dead its crap forever. Itll charge up and test good right after. But a day or two later its not up enough to start a vehicle.

Or something is drawing your batteries down over night. Did you wire in a manual high idle switch? Or glove box lights are notorious for dead batteries also

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo if a battery gets ran clear dead its crap forever. Itll charge up and test good right after. But a day or two later its not up enough to start a vehicle.

Or something is drawing your batteries down over night. Did you wire in a manual high idle switch? Or glove box lights are notorious for dead batteries also
I have disproven this theory of yours many many many times.

shawn deere

Reaction score
I have disproven this theory of yours many many many times.
Maybe its a brand of batteries?
Optima red tops
Optima yellow top
Interstate

Im dying to know what brand can be abused and re-incarnated.

Im tired of buying batteries...

shawn deere

Reaction score
Do you guys run em dead then charge them right back up?

Or find them dead after a time then get em charged back up

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its a brand of batteries?
Optima red tops
Optima yellow top
Interstate

Im dying to know what brand can be abused and re-incarnated.

Im tired of buying batteries...
never a gell battery, only wett cell'd decent batteries.

like Jasper, both ways

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online