current rating for fusbile links

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the rating is on the fusible link for the starter and alternator?
Building a brand new harness and want to go with remote mount fuses.

thinking of using something along these lines: http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46290/HIGH-AMP-FUSE-400-AMP/

also for my main fuse and relay board will be using this:
http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46343/MINI-FUSE-AND-MICRO-RELAY-RTMR/

have about 10 switches in the dash running out to control the fused relays in the box, ignition, starter, lights, fuel pump, winch, aux lights, blower fan (maybe),
(starter would go thru its own circuit on seperate board, activated only when the ignition relay is on)

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defiately blower fan, makes it blow much better.

If using fast acting fuses they need to be 110% of alt output. I have a diagram of the amp ratings of stock links but fuse links are different in the way they act than a fuse, they are like a slo blow fuse.
There is no link to run the starter.
Hope this helps.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, that is good info. So there is no sort of circuit protection to the starter?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 gauges smaller than the feeder they protect. As in, the factoury wire to the alternatour is 10ga, so the factoury fusible link is 14ga. They do have rated ampacities, but as Russ stated, they really don't matter if you're just replacing them with fusible links. If you're replacing them with fuses, however, you rate based on the feeder, not the fusible link. For example, a 10ga wire at about three feet has an ampacity of about 45 amperes at 12 volts. These ratings are HIGHLY interpretable/adjustable, because they depend on a number of other factours such as ambient temperature, acceptable voltage loss, etc.

Basically, use your best judgement. If I had a 12 gauge wire to protect, I would put a 30A fuse on it. I would not have the loads on that wire add up to more than 25 amperes however. There are a number of charts online you can use.