Cummins swap

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Ive been reading some of the threads in cummings IDI swaps. My biggie is transmissons. The dodge is a 91 I/C with a 5spd. The Ford is or was 1983 6.9 IDI F250 4x4 T-19 that I already have. im guessing most swaps involve a F350 SRW or DRW. Since I don't wanna buy another truck. What Kinda tramsmisson is preferred? The Dodge is a 2wd. Dodge has its typical falling apart problems. Even in a worse case, but it has to be cheap, I'd up grade(even to a Chevy found one, but gotta find out what kinda transmission it has.) So between now and then, Gotta find parts like Fordcummins and I'll be asking for directions for the hard stuff on here.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Ford-Cummins or Destroked both have the adapters and mounts to putt the Cummins in the Ford. And, yes, you can swap the Cummins into the F250. I personally prefer a manual transmission, but you will want something with overdrive. You can go with a built E4OD or 47RH if you just have to have an automatic. These motors like to be around 2000-2500 RPMs.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
How bad would the T19 do with RPMs behind a 12v? Midnightrider mentioned something that ZF5 weren't the best in the world.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Don't know. Really don't know about the T15. If it has an OD then you will probably be OK. Everything depends on you gearing. I can say that my Getrag with 3.55 gears turns 2150 at 70 MPH (in OD), and in my D350 that's good to net me 19.5 MPG. The NV4500 is a little different but not by much. At 70 MPH in 4th Gear (direct drive) I'm spinning close to 3000 RPMs which is the top of the power band...not good for fuel mileage or peace and quiet. If the T15 is only a 4 speed then you could always swap in a Gear Vendors OD unit.

A lot depends on what you're building the truck to do. What is your goal for the truck and what sort of power level do you want to run? Once you know that, then you can determine how to get there.

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
T15=T19. No OD. 4spd. I'm not too worried about mileage or peace and quite cause its gonna have dual stacks. The clutch part I'm gonna take a huge hit cause back in jan of this year I replace the clutch kit to the tune of $650 and t19 or something with OD is gonna hurt worse than buying all the adepapters.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Well if you're not worried about mileage or whatnot then you can just stick with the T15 with an adapter kit from Advance Adapters. That should save you some coin until you can afford to swap in a good transmission such as the NV4500 or the G360.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were it me, I would put the Cummins in there, five-speed and all, and not immediately even worry about the 4x4 stuff, transfer-case and such.

I recommend the Getrag 5-speed be completely over-hauled while it is out in the daylight.

Make sure whoever does this work is well-versed in the Getrag, as it is a pre-loaded bearing unit.

The Dodge/Cummins should have a genuine SACHS clutch that is far better than any trendy popular aftermarket clutch.

Get the engine and transmission in there and weld the Ford yoke onto the rear-end of the drive-shaft.

Once you get all the little bugs worked out of that, then you can worry about making it 4x4 again, PREFERABLY with a NP205 divorced transfer-case.

All of this can be done with normal fabrication skills, little cash outlay, and without messing with any of the "conversion" companies.

That is how I would go about it.
:)

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
just for later reference i will be selling an entire cummins conversion "kit" here soon if the original member interested backs down. It will include

cummins to zf5 adapter plate
the Zf5 tranny
BW1356 t-case
starter
flywheel and 400hp valair clutch setup
clutch slave cylinder
probably the tranny tunnel piece
Im not sure if im going to include the lengthened front drive shaft and the shortened rear drive shaft yet but i might

I ordered my new clutch from SB today so my new swap will be on its way in and all these parts on the way out. Just something to think about. ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
just for later reference i will be selling an entire cummins conversion "kit" here soon if the original member interested backs down. It will include

cummins to zf5 adapter plate
the Zf5 tranny
BW1356 t-case
starter
flywheel and 400hp valair clutch setup
clutch slave cylinder
probably the tranny tunnel piece
Im not sure if im going to include the lengthened front drive shaft and the shortened rear drive shaft yet but i might

I ordered my new clutch from SB today so my new swap will be on its way in and all these parts on the way out. Just something to think about. ;Sweet

Keep me posted, I am interested,...

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Whoa! 5 speed and all! Where do I get the divorce stuff from? What's advanced adapters site? Midnight, I currently have a genuine Sachs kit in the truck. And the gertrag will fit in the truck as is?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
http://www.advanceadapters.com/

the getrag is a dodge setup tranny. Has a 1 1/4 input shaft and if you swap in a cummins it will bolt to the back of the cummins as it does in stock form. You will need to run the dodge flywheel and clutch setup. If physically fit under the body is what you are asking then yes it will. I am stuffing a NV5600 tranny under my body. Hope that answers your ? ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa! 5 speed and all! Where do I get the divorce stuff from? What's advanced adapters site? Midnight, I currently have a genuine Sachs kit in the truck. And the gertrag will fit in the truck as is?

I took it that you are wanting to use the Cummins from the 5-speed Dodge that is listed in your sig.

If that be the case, then I would proceed as I already mentioned.

The Getrag is longer by ONE cross-member bolt-hole.

You will have to cut/grind out the rivets that currently hold the transmission cross-member and move the cross-member aft ONE rivet-hole, drill new rear holes, and use bolts instead of rivets to re-mount the cross-member.

A home-made transmission-mount adapter/bracket will need be fabricated that will attach the Ford transmission mount to the Getrag.

The mount surface of the Getrag is about an inch higher than that of the T-19, thus allowing plenty of room for the mount adapter.

I highly recommend you install a 2-inch body-lift AND an after-market extendable steering-shaft BEFORE you begin the engine swap; with the body lifted, everything else you do will be ten-fold easier.
:)