cummins swap

cgfarms

Reaction score
IM currently looking into swapping a 12v cummins into a 1991 dodge 3/4 ton gas 4x4 manual. what manual transmission came in a pickup like this with a cummins? what t-case? what transmission was the gas manual? any help would be great thanks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The first gen came with a getrag360 a 5spd transmission from factory. Not a bad tranny if You don't drive in the city. If You want something stronger/faster to shift put a nv4500, if You want something that will not break get a medium duty tranny, a member here did this search a few threads down.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, they came with a getrag. The t-case behind the getrag was a 29 spline input version of the NP205. Is your truck super nice or a family heirloom? If not, just buy a diesel version and call it a day. If you can't find a nice diesel truck where you are and yours is nice, buy one with a rough body and swap your cab and bed onto the diesel frame. Much easier that way.
Travis..

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like stated above, they came with a getrag. The t-case behind the getrag was a 29 spline input version of the NP205. Is your truck super nice or a family heirloom? If not, just buy a diesel version and call it a day. If you can't find a nice diesel truck where you are and yours is nice, buy one with a rough body and swap your cab and bed onto the diesel frame. Much easier that way.
Travis..

Not what i would do but everyone to their own I guess. " My Baby" is a 91 F-350 with a first gen and is back in the shop to junk the allison for a getrag so carry on I know what its like;Sweet

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A question to the guys here that have done this CTD conversion, not including the cost of the motor what was the other costs of doing this conversion, and how complicated was it really. Also did it take a while to work out the bugs????

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
You will need a radiator mount from a diesel or you will have to do some fabrication work. The radiator in the gasser will be too far back for the Cummins and the fan will hit. I swapped a Cummins out of a D250 into a Ramcharger a few years ago. You can see some pics and all my notes at This link. Mine was a 2wd and I had to modify the steering linkage but I don't think it will be a problem with the 4wd.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not what i would do but everyone to their own I guess. " My Baby" is a 91 F-350 with a first gen and is back in the shop to junk the allison for a getrag so carry on I know what its like;Sweet

Are you saying you wouldn't just buy another truck that's a diesel to replace what he has? I know it wouldn't be an option for you as there aren't as many Cummins Fords running around. He is looking to swap a Cummins into a truck that was available with one. Why go to the trouble of a swap for something you can get pre-made? Unless you are trying to make something that doesn't exist like a Cummins powered shortbed or Ramcharger. Besides, the best way to do it is with a donor truck. If you have to buy a donor truck, just buy a nicer one and save yourself some heart-ache.

A question to the guys here that have done this CTD conversion, not including the cost of the motor what was the other costs of doing this conversion, and how complicated was it really. Also did it take a while to work out the bugs????

It depends on what you are swapping it into.

Travis..

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well to possibly answer your question crash That JUNK allison bought cost me about 250 and pretty much I just built what I didnt have already like the mounts and the drive shaft so I dont have much in my swap and really the bugs are pretty much worked out except for the trans which I plan to change to a getrag this week and I only paid 350 for the trans and everthing I need to put it in.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you wouldn't just buy another truck that's a diesel to replace what he has? I know it wouldn't be an option for you as there aren't as many Cummins Fords running around. He is looking to swap a Cummins into a truck that was available with one. Why go to the trouble of a swap for something you can get pre-made? Unless you are trying to make something that doesn't exist like a Cummins powered shortbed or Ramcharger. Besides, the best way to do it is with a donor truck. If you have to buy a donor truck, just buy a nicer one and save yourself some heart-ache.

It depends on what you are swapping it into.

Travis..

Thats exactly what Im saying because I get the feeling that he has some kind of attachment to his truck (which many of us do) and he wants a cummins in it. I had the donor truck that my C was in but im too attached to my truck to give it up.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what Im saying because I get the feeling that he has some kind of attachment to his truck (which many of us do) and he wants a cummins in it. I had the donor truck that my C was in but im too attached to my truck to give it up.

I know all about personal attachment to vehicles, I REALLY hate to sell anything. BUT, I am also a practical kind of guy. If his truck is a standard cab or ext cab longbed, there is NO good reason to do the swap, just go buy one that came that way and be done with it. Or, as I said, if his current truck is really clean, buy a donor with good chassis and bad body to swap his body onto. If his current truck is a short bed of any configuration, or a Ramcharger, go for it since neither of those were available from the factory. Since he is a Dodge guy with a Dodge truck, I suggest this. A Dodge guy (such as myself) would never in a million years be able to persuade a Chevy or Ford guy (such as yourself) to give up his current truck for an equivelant 1st gen Dodge, just ain't gonna happen. If he was asking about swapping an IDI into an 86 standard cab longbed gasser, I'd suggest the same thing since they too are readily available.
Travis..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online