cummins 4bt going in the ranger!

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
That's not the first time I've heard that. How come the 8Valve is more expensive to swap than the 12Valve(not initial cost)?
I'm doing my 4BT swap for the fuel economy in my 67 F100, plus it was a good price.

Last edited:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find a deal on a 4bt without buying the van. My time was worth more to me at that time due to my dad being sick and wanting to spend time around the house.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just have to know what to look for. 4BT's are everywhere, many don't even know they have one.

IMO, a 4BT is a more useful engine than a 6BT. A 4BT will easily make more power than you can use in an 8000 pound pickup, even if you tow 10K up 6% grades regularly and it will always get atleast 20% better mileage (set up right more like 30%). Not to mention it weighs 2/3 as much, lasts just as long and fits in a smaller area. In that respect a 4BT deserves the price premium it gets.

Just make sure you're getting what you pay for. I've bought a lot of junker 4BT's for junker price, some junk, some fixers. I feel bad for anyone who buys crap off ebay for new price. A few years back I got screwed by a NY ebay seller paying good money for a "low mile" 4BT mated to a 4L80E that came with a controller and harness that was supposed to make it all function.

What I got was a likely 300K++ hard mile abused 4BT with a bad headgasket, bad head and junk injection pump rusted to oblivian with some fresh paint, a 4L80E with bad planetaries and a 350 gas 4L80E breadtruck computer and pieces of the 4L80E harness just tied in a knot and wrapped in electrical tape. Of coarse this didn't become aparrent until a couple months past the auction end when I had it ready to start.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I think the 4bts are getting the $$$$ just because they are so fuel efficient, and in these times that's the key. The engine folks know this.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Hey guys the VM diesel has been around for years. It was mostly air cooled like a Deutz.
Also had a rather interesting fuel system setup, anyway they were used to power auger boring machines. I put 3cyl one in a Sami, wasnt very big on HP but people would just stare
at the truck that was making that awful noise. They sounded like every rod in them were knocking when you gave it fuel.