Couple Questions

Bowtie Smoker

Reaction score
I have a 93 model and am trying to get her tuned right.
1) water temp runs around 120, I have the sending unit beside the intercooler housing, is this the right location? What temp should it be running? I am thinking the thermostat has been taken out.
2) It is in a chevy body and it had the factory dodge intake box that was fit to the grill. I know this grill was not designed to give air like the dodge. With factory air intake I could not hear the turbo at all. I took this off and installed a Cone type filter mounted directly to the turbo intake. Is this ok? I can know hear the turbo whine when I get on it, but if I load it hard the turbo whine will studder for a second or two. What causes this.
3) I would like to adjust the pump back to factory settings and start fresh. How do you know what factory settings are and what adjustments do I need to make for light towing. Have an after market three piece manifold, 16cm housing and larger injectors (don't know which ones, installed before I purchased).

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Don't know the answer to #1.

#2 - that's fine. An open element filter tends to help matters a bit. Most of us run a BHAF (Big Honkin Air Filter) mounted to the factory intake pipe. I've heard the turbo "chatter" too in my Ram and I think that's a sign the turbo is getting worn out. Just keep an eye on it.

#3 - no way to know without a flow bench to test the output of the pump. As far as what's good for towing, hook up a trailer and watch your gauges. If your temps get up there quickly then turn the pump down. Also watch your boost. I'd suggest keeping it below 30 psi for brief periods and a few pounds less for long periods.