Cost to rebuild a Dana 60/50

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Got a little internal problem brewing. My Dana 50 in my 1994 needs rebuilt, I'm hanging a 8ft Western snowplow on it here before too long. I'd truly prefer a Dana 60 under there BUT this truck came with all 3 U-joints, 4 ball joints, and I think all the tie rod ends to do the Dana 50 rebuild. I'd just need to get new springs (SAGGY!). If i were able to find a 60 for a decent price, either standalone or in a parts truck, I'd still be rebuilding it and putting new springs in. Because of the plow, I want a 60, but all those parts that I already own for the 50 keep staring at me.

Any thoughts to sway my perspective?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I was to drop off a truck for a D60 re-gear and rebuild, it would set me back $1600 gears included.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Good points. I have the bearings too (forgot that). I think I'm gonna start a new thread about which parts interchange from the 50 to 60. I understand the D50 is essentially D44 inners and D60 outer parts? I got confused on the parts interchange on RockAuto, so I'll just poll the voice of experience :hail

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the D50 is essentially D44 inners and D60 outer parts? :hail

Negative...D50 is not all D60 outer parts there are some differences that one needs to know and understand, wheel bearings and wheel hubs may interchange, however spindles are NOT the same and neither are knuckles or brake caliper mounting brackets.

My suggestion, build yer 50, plan on a 60 and work towards that goal and re-axle it at a later date!

JM2CW

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online