!!Coolant!!

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As posted in another thread I am changing my radiator tonight due to a small crack. I read thearticle on cavitation and SCA's, but have you seen the price of CAT ELC coolant:eek:

$10 per gallon 50/50 x 8gal = $80!!! (I know its elementry math)

Otherwise all the local place has is prestone ELC. Says it is good for ALL light truck engines. Any opinions on using this stuff w/ ford SCA's? Whole lot cheaper, but is it safe for the diesel?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
FWIW I was told not to used extended life antifreeze in the older PSD as in 2002- back because the chemicals in it will attack the brass in the injector cups.
I think that it in anything with a brass rad the same would be true?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably. I always remember Snotzalots logo. The ELC with a line through it. LOL Green is your friend.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may take back the elc or save it for the car. I printed out the list from the tech on Cavitation and am going to try and hunt down something cheaper than CAT.

$80 is just a bit hard to swallow after spending $235 on a radiator while adding my <$800 AC kt.

This cheap truck is getting expensive!!! but at least I can work on it myself unlike most of the problems w/ my 99psd

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option for you.

I use Fleetrite, fully formulated antifreeze with the SCA additive already in it. It's full strength, only need 4 gallons to make 50/50 mix of 8 gallons. This stuff is made for diesels.

IIRC it was $10 - $11 gallon at the Navistar dealer.

BTW it's pink.LOL

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use the low silicate coolant from fleetguard and just add the dca-4 to it after I mix it 50/50 with distilled water. I don't use the pink coolant but only bc I already use the precharged coolant filter to add the dca-4 (sca) in the coolant.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I use the low silicate coolant from fleetguard and just add the dca-4 to it after I mix it 50/50 with distilled water. I don't use the pink coolant but only bc I already use the precharged coolant filter to add the dca-4 (sca) in the coolant.

same here i just use the napa brand antifreese and add the sca's

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
$80 is just a bit hard to swallow after spending $235 on a radiator while adding my <$800 AC kt.

$80 isn't bad, I just filled my new engine with Evan's waterless coolant to the tune of about $260 :eek: , but I look at it as cheap insurance.

---------Robert

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
$80 isn't bad, I just filled my new engine with Evan's waterless coolant to the tune of about $260 :eek: , but I look at it as cheap insurance.

---------Robert

That's funny. I just drained and flushed one of my trucks of Evan's and put regular antifreeze and SCA's back in. :rotflmao I had to change a leaking radiator in my daughter's truck and since she's going off to school in it in a couple months, I wanted it to be more convenient for her to service if needed since dad won't be there to take care of it. The truck had it already when I bought it.

Evan's is great as far as cavitation prevention goes, but I can't get it without ordering it and that's highly inconvenient if you have a problem on the road. Not to mention the cost and incompatibility with water and EG.

Tom

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to try the local ford stealership today. I checked out three parts houses and two department store chains and all I could find was Prestone, PEAK, and store brands.

All of which are ELC coolants now.-cuss

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance, Autozone, Walmart, PAMIDA, and my wife suposedly checked SMYTH and all had store brand and PEAK and Prestone.

No NAPA around here anymore

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance, Autozone, Walmart, PAMIDA, and my wife suposedly checked SMYTH and all had store brand and PEAK and Prestone.

No NAPA around here anymore

Check heavy duty truck dealers...ie Navistar, Western Star, Peterbilt, etc....., heavy duty truck parts places, heavy truck repair shops and quick lube places and local truck stops they should all have the correct antifreeze for diesels on hand...Usually fleetgard and fleetrite is what you will find.

BTW, these places will also know what SCA means without looking at you like you are stupid too and most will have test strips and SCA additives too.

I usually buy the majority of my engine parts from Navistar too, often much cheaper than Ford dealers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7